Memory issue

PatrickHouPatrickHou Member Posts: 6 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

HI, I'm new to RM and now I'm facing a memory issue with it.

On window 10 64-bit my rapidminer uses 3GB of memory without running any process and after a process(basically as the tutorial did) it can't clean up the memory even I used "free memory" operator.

Thanks 

Patrick

Best Answer

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Solution Accepted

hello @PatrickHou - welcome to the community. Yes that sounds about right. My RapidMiner Studio install typically uses around 3GB of memory at rest as well.

We don't recommend using RapidMiner with a machine less than 4GB, and even 8GB can be quite limiting. It's a pretty sophisticated piece of software that does its work in RAM. See this page for machine specifications. Most data scientists who use RapidMiner have machines with quite a bit of RAM. Mine is 64GB. :)

Scott

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

"Mine is 64GB"

Showoff! :)

• PatrickHouPatrickHou Member Posts: 6 Contributor I

Thanks for the explanation, luckily I have 16 GB for my project. But another problem still stands here that my process can't free memory. Is my process still run backgroud after process? 

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

I'm no memory expert but that may be due to the garbage collection aspect of the Java VM. I think it should clear up in a bit or definately when you run the next process. 

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder

Hi,

RM cleans up the memory when it needs to.  But it keeps results in memory as long as nothing else asks for the memory.  The reason is that this allows you to go back into the process and right click on ports for example to see (intermediate) results even after the process has been finished. That is very convenient for the user and sometimes allows us to avoid duplicate calculations.

Using the "Free Memory" operator is a friendly nudge that the garbage collection should go and look what can be freed up, but in fact there is no guarantee that this actually then happens.  It won't if there is no immediate need for freeing this up.  Again, this is on purpose but be assured that this memory is immediately freed up as soon as something else - inside or outside of RM! - requests this memory instead.

Cheers,

Ingo

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

oh very interesting, @IngoRM. Thanks for that. I'm cc'ing the team so that we can get this into the "system requirements" part of the website. We get similar questions about memory usage from time to time and it's nice to get info from the source!

Scott

• sherlocksherlock Member Posts: 24 Contributor II
    Hi,
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro with Apple M1 Pro chip. I have just downloaded the ARM Version of the JDK from https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/downloads/#jdk18-mac and installed it.

Will Rapidminer automatically use this version? How can I find out, which version is used?  If I'm checking in Terminal "java -version" I get the correct version. So can I be sure RM will use this ARM Version?

Thanks

• bpimperbpimper Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
    Hi @sherlock ,

After you started RapidMiner in the help menu there is an About button, that will show you which Java version used.

Cheers,
    Bence