Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

SVM C Parameter. higher C values allow for 'softer' boundaries

balaji_k08balaji_k08 Member Posts: 1 Learner I
edited October 2019 in Help

I am taking rapid miner analyst certification in a couple of days.

In Rapid Miner documentation it says, higher C values allow for 'softer' boundaries and lower values create 'harder' boundaries. Is this correct ?  Ideally large C values should lead to hard margins right ? Pls Suggest

Tagged:

Answers

• IngoRMIngoRM Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder

Hi,

I guess this depends a bit on how you define the terms "hard" and "soft" here :-)

Think about a RBF kernel which can be non-linear.  "Soft" in the documentation means that you can "bend" or "move" the hyperplace more, i.e. you can bring it into a shape which reduces the training error.  Which is exactly what happens for higher values of C.  While a "hard" boundary tends to stay in its shape and cannot be moved that easily.  This can therefore increase the training error.

I would probably somewhat avoid to use those fuzzy terms altogether now but I am pretty sure that is what is meant by the documentation.

Hope this helps,

Ingo