Create Example Sets from the "Repository" Tab.

rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Product Feedback - Resolved

Hello, World!

More often than not, when I introduce RapidMiner to customers and they want me to create a quick process to show something (e.g. a process, an algorithm, something), it feels cumbersome to have to go to the Views menu on the top, then load the Data Editor panel, then create a new example set, configure it... and after a number of clicks, have something working. When that is not the case, I usually have a database that I have to import and work with the data, or have an Excel file, or...

The thing is, wouldn't it be much easier to go to the Repository panel, pick a repository, a subfolder, and have a menu named "Create a new example set here" right from that panel, ready for editing? It's less steps, and given that people always go from general to particular, it's much easier to give a name to a Repository and then focus on what data should go into that repository.

I know it is contradictory with the "Store Process Here" button because it works the other way round, but the thing is that there is a new menu to create a new process, while example sets can just be created from the Data Editor (unless I forgot something). It would be much easier and quicker to do all the quick prototyping inside RapidMiner, rather than moving back and forth towards the Spreadsheet Editor and/or a database.

What do you think? All the best.

0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

release Project extension instead

Comments

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

by the way, it's fairly easy to add new Custom Actions e.g. right clicking on an item and create an interaction. I got a tutorial how to write this somewhere.

The tricky part would be to implement the pop up of data editor. That's "Spring magic" and too much for me to do.

Cheers!

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Hi @mschmitz! Do you mind to point me to that tutorial? I found this one about creating extensions yesterday, found some more interesting stuff on the RapidMiner Maven repository regarding writing extensions and stuff, but I suspect that since you are talking about custom actions it might be easier to go that way.

Thanks in advance!

Rodrigo.

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Hi,

i've just realzied that we've not published it yet.

I will double check with @sgenzer and team were to push it and sent my draft to you via email.

~Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Oh, ok, no worries then! I have plenty of stuff to play with before tweaking some interface usability things here and there. Thanks for your feedback, Martin!