RapidMiner 9.7 is Now Available

Lots of amazing new improvements including true version control! Learn more about what's new here.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

"Generate Products" operator should generate only unique combinations of the attributes

yzanyzan Member Posts: 62   Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Product Feedback - Resolved

Currently, when we pass a set {"att1", "att2", "att3"} as "attribute1" and {"att1", "att2", "att3"} as "attribute2" to "Generate Products" operator, we get a product between "att1" and "att2" twice. Once as "(att1) * (att2)" and once as "(att2) * (att1)". Since multiplication (for all numerical data types that RapidMiner supports) is commutative, it creates an annecessary redundancy.
Proposal: Generate only unique combinations of the attributes.
Workaround: Use "Remove Correlated Attributes" after "Generate Products".

0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Closing this idea - zero votes since Aug 2018. Please re-open if this is of interest.PROD-834

Comments

• sgenzersgenzer 12Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,938  Community Manager

Wow...been using RapidMiner Studio for six years and never saw this operator before. :) Sure happy to open for voting.

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 512   Unicorn

Hello @yzan,

Might I suggest a slight change? What you wrote here makes total sense, and I believe it should be the default: it shouldn't be expected to generate a cross join.

However, I found myself in more cases where I don't have to remove correlated attributes than the other way round, hence I think the way the product generation is executed should be configurable. (Besides, it reduces the impact in current models).