Options

Deploying RapidMiner Studio for Enterprice Environment on multiple computers

DavotDavot Member Posts: 2 Learner I
edited December 2018 in Help
Dear Sir/Madam,

We're planning to deloy this application to multiple computers using SCCM. We need to be able to detect this application but we noticed that when running the setup it writes the add and remove program registry settings in the current user section. Is it possible that you can change this to the local machine section as usual. Or...do you have an enterprise installer for this occasions?

PS. The version details when right clicking the .exe isn't up to date. Add and remove programs shows 9.0.3.0 yet the .exe still shows 9.0.0.0

Regards,
Dave
www.ru.nl/isc

Answers

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    edited November 2018
    Hi Dave,

HKCU was chosen because it can be a bit obnoxious if you share your PC with multiple users and we add this for all users.
    We also register RapidMiner Studio to deal with a specific URL pattern so our online tutorials can immediately open Studio with the training process you are viewing in your browser (rapidminer://...), also in HKCU.
    To be honest, I personally have no experience with deployment systems for Windows desktops. Is the usage of HKCU a dealbreaker for you? Would all be well if the installer instead wrote everything to HKLM?

The version by the way is only updated when we update the .exe files, and they usually do not really change all that often...

Regards,
    Marco Böck
  • Options
    BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi,

maybe the "Linux version" (which is just a Zip file without setup infrastructure) is better suited for a software deployment platform. With that, you can control "installation" and "uninstallation".

RapidMiner Studio has its built-in updater, so it tries to write into its installation folder. Therefore it more or less expects installations in the user's directory. You should keep this in mind.

Regards,
    Balázs
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,510 RM Data Scientist
    Hey @Davot,
    please feel free to contact your Customer Success Manager for any enterprise deployment questions. We are of course happy to help with our professional team.
    For europe: You can also contact me here. Just PM me.
    BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hello, @Davot and @Marco_Boeck

Marco, if you install any program with the NSIS installer (or InstallShield, or anything), at a certain point the installer asks:

[ ] Install only for me.
    [ ] Install for all users on this machine.

If you choose "Install only for me", the registry is written in HKCU. If you choose "Install for all users..." it is written in HKLM. I don't recall installing RapidMiner on Windows (on Mac it is as easy as drag and drop). It is indeed a configurable step on most installers. For most cases it is not a dealbreaker, but if someone wants to automate RapidMiner installation (something that is VERY recommendable, especially with software for productive environments), they will find themselves in trouble. So, I propose: ask the user where does he want to install his records, even with these two simple questions.

All the best,

Rodrigo.

• Options
    DavotDavot Member Posts: 2 Learner I
    edited November 2018
    Thx for all the answers. @Marco_Boeck
    The main issue here is that we're deploying the program. Which means we're installing it using a silent method (Rapidminer.exe /S). Since the program writes it's data to HKCU instead of HKLM our deployment system won't be able to detect if the installation went all well. Normally we would detect on wether the program exists in the control panel -> Add and remove program (by checking the regkey) but since it's installed in the HKCU other users won't be able to see them there. 

PS. it's not only for checking wether the installation went well or not but also for updating if needed. We disabled auto-update since our students aren't admin.