Options

Run multiple RM in a class with free educationa license

EGVEGV Member Posts: 3 Learner I
Hi,
I'd like to run an exercise with RM in class. Ideally, at the begining f the course I would distribute a Linux image to all the students, including an installation of RM, to run as a virtual machine on their laptops. Can this be done with a (single) free educationa license? Is there another way to run multiple RMs in class?

Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hi @EGV,

No, you shouldn't distribute your personal licenses. What you can do, however, is to install RapidMiner on your computer and copy all the repositories you want to make available to your students in the .RapidMiner/repositories directory. Once RapidMiner is run for the first time by the student, they should put their personal license and/or register with RapidMiner.

Wondering if @leti has more ideas about this.

All the best,

Rodrigo.
  • Options
    Hi Rodrigo (@rfuentealba), thanks for your answer!

I wanted to avoid that students had to register and get a license only to use RM once :(
    I'll try to find if there's another way.

Cheers,

EGV
  • Options
    Knut-RMKnut-RM Administrator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 113 Administrator
    @EGV we understand that is an issue and we have seen and solved this before. Please reach out to us via our contact form (https://rapidminer.com/us/contact-us/) so we can get this solved with you "offline". @sgenzer
    @cklaey
  • Options
    Already did, waiting for them to contact. Thanks for your suggestion @sgenzer.
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @EGV so RapidMiner does not have academic lab licenses. All licenses are on a per-email address basis. So basically we recommend something like this:

1. Build your VM and distribute etc...
    2. Have each of your students sign up with RapidMiner at my.rapidminer.com and apply for an academic license.
    3. Have your students boot up their VM. When RM Studio is launched for the first time, they will accept the EULA and then go here:

Then s/he enters her new RM account info here:

Then s/he will be good to go.

Scott