Options

How to identify critical parameters in a dataset?

mznmzn Member, University Professor Posts: 10 University Professor
Hi,
Say that you have a dataset of 10 different parameters (listed in 10 columns) to describe a phenomenon (listed in the 11 column). What would be a procedure to identify which of the 10 parameters are critical to predicting the phenomenon on hand (i.e. maybe 4-5 parameters are need to properly predict the phenomenon, how to go around figuring out what are these parameters?).
Thanks, 
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Solution Accepted
    Hi,
    can I have access to/figure out the actual relationship/mathematical model used to predict future values?

The respective models are used for this.  While for some of those models like linear regression (a formula) or a decision tree (nested if-then statements) a mathematical representations can be derived, this is not general the case.  Especially for the more complex models (and therefore often also more accurate models) like GBT or Neural Nets there is a close to zero chance to transform them into a human-readable format.  That is the reason why we have tools like the Simulator or Explain Predictions in the first place - so that you can build trust in what the models are doing even without such an explicit formula.

Best,
    Ingo

Answers

• Options
    mznmzn Member, University Professor Posts: 10 University Professor
    Thank you! One more thing, in the simulator tab, can I have access to/figure out the actual relationship/mathematical model used to predict future values? I am trying to develop simple approaches to predict a certain phenomenon and arriving at such relations is of high importance. 
  • Options
    varunm1varunm1 Moderator, Member Posts: 1,207 Unicorn
    Hello,

@IngoRM can you provide any suggestions on this.

Thanks
    Regards,
    Varun
    https://www.varunmandalapu.com/

Be Safe. Follow precautions and Maintain Social Distancing