How to use logistic regression for multi-class classification in rapidminer?

mahsa_d1992mahsa_d1992 Member Posts: 1 Learner I
Hi. I have a dataset which has nominal values. Also, the column I want to use as prediction is divided into 3 classes. I do not know how to use logistic regression in this state?

Answers

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    Logistic regression only works with binominal (2-class) labels.  However, the Generalized Linear Model operator has a multinomial regression solver which is suitable for 3-class labels (or more). 
    There is a sample process for it available in the operator help that should guide you.
    There are also many other ML operators that can handle multinomial labels.
    Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • varunm1varunm1 Moderator, Member Posts: 1,207 Unicorn
    Hello @Telcontar120

Is the solution suggested in your post similar to the multinomial logistic regression in python? I generally use python for this. I feel they might be similar but just want your insight.

Also, we can try polynomial to binomial (One Vs All) and apply logistic regression on that directly.
    Regards,
    Varun
    https://www.varunmandalapu.com/

Be Safe. Follow precautions and Maintain Social Distancing

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    @varunm1 this is more of a question for @mschmitz but as far as I know, the multinomial GLM in RapidMiner would be very similar to the multinomial LR python function.
    The one-vs-all-other method is a workaround but isn't suitable if you really do want simultaneous predictions for multiple classes.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • varunm1varunm1 Moderator, Member Posts: 1,207 Unicorn
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Brian.
    Regards,
    Varun
    https://www.varunmandalapu.com/

Be Safe. Follow precautions and Maintain Social Distancing