RapidMiner 9.7 is Now Available
Lots of amazing new improvements including true version control! Learn more about what's new here.
Issues with RapidMiner Studio 9.x on Mac with OS X 10.15 Catalina - UPDATED
1. Restart RapidMiner Studio and when it asks you whether or not to enter "Safe Mode", click on the "Disable extensions button":
2. Go to Extensions -> Manage Extensions
3. Uncheck the "Deep Learning" box and then click the "Close" button at the bottom.
4. When RapidMiner asks you to restart, click Yes.
5. Let RapidMiner restart normally.
ALL OTHER ISSUES WITH CATALINA HAVE BEEN RESOLVED TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS AND HAVE DISABLED THE DEEP LEARNING EXTENSION, PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS DISCUSSION BELOW.
There are a few issues concerning users starting RapidMiner Studio with Mac OS X 10.15 "Catalina" (released October 7, 2019). This is not unique to RapidMiner; all third-party Java applications (like RapidMiner) are having difficulties with Catalina.
We are opening this thread to address known issues + share workarounds. Please read + comment below as needed.
Issue: You cannot open RapidMiner Studio due to security warningBackground: Catalina was released with new security features that are designed to prevent users from installing malicious or unidentified software on your Mac. Unfortunately developers were not given much advanced notice of this new feature, and hence if you download a new version of Studio (or install for the first time), you may get a message like this one:
What is most important here is that if you downloaded RapidMiner Studio from your account at my.rapidminer.com, the software is not malicious! It's just that Apple is still processing the paperwork from RapidMiner (and thousands of other developers who were left in the lurch).
1. Click Show in Finder. You should see this:
[NOTE: it is likely that you will NOT see the ".app" file extension labels on your Mac. This is not a cause for concern.]
2. Control-click on the RapidMiner Studio icon and select Open.
3. Ignore the "malicious software" warning and click Open.
RapidMiner Studio should now open normally and be smooth sailing from here. Please comment below if you have issues after following these steps.
Issue: RapidMiner Studio crashes almost immediately after starting the applicationBackground: There appears to be an issue with some elements of Java OpenJDK on Catalina which can cause complete JVM (Java Virtual Machine) crashes.
1. Please copy + paste the crash report you see and send it to @sgenzer via private message.
2. Restart RapidMiner Studio
3. When it gives you a warning that "RapidMiner Studio did not close properly", select "Disable Extensions".
4. RapidMiner should now boot normally (if not please ping @sgenzer and send crash reports).
5. QUIT RapidMiner Studio and restart.
[note: there are anecdotal reports that the Deep Learning extension may be a cause of JVM crashes. If needed, try uninstalling the Deep Learning extension and see if this helps. Please comment below if this does / does not work for you.]
Issue: You get Python not found or similar error with Python Scripting extension
Background: Anaconda / Miniconda is a recommended Python environment manager when using Python Scripting extension. However, it may have become broken after the Catalina upgrade. The cause is that its installation location may no longer be allowed by Mac OS X. When Python Scripting extension tries to use Conda for running Python code, it can no longer find the binaries.