Options

Issues with RapidMiner Studio 9.x on Mac with OS X 10.15 Catalina - UPDATED

sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
edited October 2019 in Knowledge Base
This is an update to the information below. As of 28 Oct 2019, there is only one known issue with using Mac OS X 10.15 "Catalina" with RapidMiner Studio. This is when the Deep Learning extension is installed. If you are experiencing software crashes, please check if you have the Deep Learning extension installed. If you do, please UNINSTALL THE DEEP LEARNING EXTENSION and restart RapidMiner Studio:

1. Restart RapidMiner Studio and when it asks you whether or not to enter "Safe Mode", click on the "Disable extensions button":

2. Go to Extensions -> Manage Extensions

3. Uncheck the "Deep Learning" box and then click the "Close" button at the bottom.

4. When RapidMiner asks you to restart, click Yes.

5. Let RapidMiner restart normally.

ALL OTHER ISSUES WITH CATALINA HAVE BEEN RESOLVED TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS AND HAVE DISABLED THE DEEP LEARNING EXTENSION, PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS DISCUSSION BELOW.

--------------------

There are a few issues concerning users starting RapidMiner Studio with Mac OS X 10.15 "Catalina" (released October 7, 2019). This is not unique to RapidMiner; all third-party Java applications (like RapidMiner) are having difficulties with Catalina.

We are opening this thread to address known issues + share workarounds. Please read + comment below as needed.

Issue: You cannot open RapidMiner Studio due to security warning

Background: Catalina was released with new security features that are designed to prevent users from installing malicious or unidentified software on your Mac. Unfortunately developers were not given much advanced notice of this new feature, and hence if you download a new version of Studio (or install for the first time), you may get a message like this one:

"RapidMiner Studio.app" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated..."

What is most important here is that if you downloaded RapidMiner Studio from your account at my.rapidminer.com, the software is not malicious! It's just that Apple is still processing the paperwork from RapidMiner (and thousands of other developers who were left in the lurch).

Workaround:

1. Click Show in Finder. You should see this:

[NOTE: it is likely that you will NOT see the ".app" file extension labels on your Mac. This is not a cause for concern.]

2. Control-click on the RapidMiner Studio icon and select Open.

3. Ignore the "malicious software" warning and click Open.

RapidMiner Studio should now open normally and be smooth sailing from here. Please comment below if you have issues after following these steps.

Issue: RapidMiner Studio crashes almost immediately after starting the application

Background: There appears to be an issue with some elements of Java OpenJDK on Catalina which can cause complete JVM (Java Virtual Machine) crashes. 

Workaround:

1. Please copy + paste the crash report you see and send it to @sgenzer via private message.

2. Restart RapidMiner Studio

3. When it gives you a warning that "RapidMiner Studio did not close properly", select "Disable Extensions".

4. RapidMiner should now boot normally (if not please ping @sgenzer and send crash reports).

5. QUIT RapidMiner Studio and restart.

[note: there are anecdotal reports that the Deep Learning extension may be a cause of JVM crashes. If needed, try uninstalling the Deep Learning extension and see if this helps. Please comment below if this does / does not work for you.]

Issue: You get Python not found or similar error with Python Scripting extension

Background: Anaconda / Miniconda is a recommended Python environment manager when using Python Scripting extension. However, it may have become broken after the Catalina upgrade. The cause is that its installation location may no longer be allowed by Mac OS X. When Python Scripting extension tries to use Conda for running Python code, it can no longer find the binaries.

Workaround: Follow Anaconda's official instructions to solve the issue. Once Anaconda / Miniconda works on its own again, your RapidMiner process will also succeed.

Thanks and happy RapidMining!

Scott

Comments

• Options
    rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hello,

I wanted to emphasize this:
    What is most important here is that if you downloaded RapidMiner Studio from your account at my.rapidminer.com, the software is not malicious! It's just that Apple is still processing the paperwork from RapidMiner (and thousands of other developers who were left in the lurch). Here's what to do if you see this window until things get sorted out:
    ALWAYS ensure to download the software from trusted sources, not only RapidMiner. As a cybersecurity consultant, I have seen dozens of hacks only because people "thought they were downloading from the correct site".

Just my two cents, not quite related to RapidMiner in general, but always caring for the users. :)

All the best,

Rod.
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

The first issue should be fixed now, as I finally managed to figure out what the cause of the useless error message of Apple's notarization service was. The OS X download has been updated for RapidMiner Studio 9.4.1 and should no longer show the "cannot be opened" dialog.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    User98130User98130 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    I am having problems loading rapidminer running Mac Catalina. Tried the work around to no avail. It starts loading then dies. Any suggestions how i can resolve this issue? 
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @User98130 please see my instructions above concerning reporting issues in this thread. Thank you!
  • Options
    User98130User98130 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Marco, thanks for the quick reply, will give it a try.

• Options
    pschlunderpschlunder Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 96 RM Research
    Hi,

regarding the problems with Catalina and the Deep Learning extension:
    We're aware of it and looked into potential fixes. So far it seems, that the team behind DL4J (deep learning library used in our extension) created a fix already and also integrated it into the current snapshot of the library. As soon as it is part of an official (beta/full version) release we'll update to it.
    Judging from this discussion about the bug and the next DL4J release in combination with our time frame it might be early next year before we can upgrade to solve this issue though.

Hope this helps,

Philipp

• Options
    DocMusherDocMusher Member Posts: 333 Unicorn
    Thanks, looking forward to this moment!
    Cheers
    Sven
  • Options
    albertoarenalalbertoarenal Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
    edited March 2020
    Hi, I have just downloaded RapidMiner Studio in my new laptop and I have found this issue. Previously I used RapidMiner in Windows without any problem. How should I proceed?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Learner III
    edited March 2020
    @albertoarenal

Hello

your answer is exactly in this post. Please take a look at the screen shot ;)

Also read this post carefully :smile:
    Regards
    mbs

• Options
    albertoarenalalbertoarenal Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
    @mbs

So Sorry! I had read the thread, but not very good implementation... I'm a newby with Mac and the problem is that I'm no using properly the launchpad... so embarassed... it is open now!

thank you very much
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Learner III
    edited March 2020
    @albertoarenal

No problem dear friend ;)  :)

Have a nice day
    mbs