Forcing process flow

vgpoweredvgpowered Member Posts: 29 Contributor II
I'm using the operator "Create exampleset" to generate an output of a propietary goodness indicator.
This indicator needs a macro ('my macro'),  and this macro depends of a previous exampleset.
The problem, I think, is Rapidminer try to execute the operator Create Exampleset before the macro is generated (evaluated) and it says: "Expression evaluation error. Error evaluating expression: The macro 'my macro' is unknown"
Is there a way to assure the operator "Create exampleset" is not been executed until the macro was calculated? I do not see a way to provide an input to this operator to force a dependency.

Best Answer

Answers

• vgpoweredvgpowered Member Posts: 29 Contributor II
    Yes, this is the solution, but I think this should be unnecesary in a modern programming language.  Is obvious Rapid miner lacks a suitable preprocessor.
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    edited November 2019
    Hi,

Given that you can create/edit macros in various ways, even in if/else blocks depending on an arbitrary condition which is only evaluated at runtime, not to mention Execute Script which literally can do anything a high-level language can do, and we (unfortunately) allow macros to be defined at runtime instead of forcing them to be pre-defined at design time, this is sadly impossible.

Regards,
    Marco
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @vgpowered welcome to the community :smile:

IMHO RapidMiner is not a 'programming language' in the standard sense of the terminology. If someone wants that amount of control over local and global variables with a modern, standard programming language, they should probably use Python. RapidMiner's power is in its GUI, allowing users who do not want/cannot program at that level to leverage machine learning tools – and accomplish tasks at an order of magnitude faster than coding.

Scott