How can i make RapidMiner do sentiment analysis of Emoji ?

MohaMoha Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
I have an excel sheet contain Tweets with Emoji, I need to Sentiment Analysis the Emoji alone without the tweets and make sure RapidMiner understands the emoji.

Best Answers

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted
    Hi @Moha,

you can use the Replace operator with regular expressions like "[a-zA-Z .:!?-]" (search term) and "" (replacement) to get rid of everything but the emojis in the tweets. However, in my tests, RapidMiner doesn't display the emojis.

It also won't just "understand" the emoji.

Sentiment Analysis is a classification problem, you need some labeled examples (categorized into positive or negative). However, this won't work for just one character. If you have tweets with multiple emojis that you can categorize into positive or negative, you could build a model assuming that these emojis match the entire tweet's sentiment. Using the Text Processing extension, you would tokenize into single characters. 

If you actually look at the visual representation of the emoji, the effort will be much higher as you're changing this to an image classification problem. RapidMiner can only support parts of that process.

Regards,

Balázs