Removed Brackets from Attributes Names in Excel Header -- Now Have Import Problem

SkyTraderSkyTrader Member Posts: 88 Contributor II
edited July 2020 in Help
Re: NullPointerException 

Hi

I've had successful imports of a large Excel dataset. I went to try out the Turbo and got a warning: "The attribute 20) was already present in the example set." 

I saw this posts solution about removing brackets in the names in my top  row: https://community.rapidminer.com/discussion/56456/auto-model-throws-error-immediately-with-this-data-what-is-wrong-with-it
and removed all the names of attributes like SMA (20) and replacing with SMA -- 20 in my name/attributes column in a number of Excel files I have.

But then when I now go to import the file using an existing saved import process (and using the import configuration wizard to access the modified Excel file for both the Read Excel and Store operators) I get a failed process warning -- it also tells me to activate debug in settings but there is no debug? -- pls see image.

It's not the process at fault because even if I do a direct import it gives me this:
  • Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
  • Stack trace:
  • java.util.zip.ZipFile.getEntry(ZipFile.java:311)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxWorkbookRelationParser.getResult(XlsxWorkbookRelationParser.java:148)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxWorkbookRelationParser.getResult(XlsxWorkbookRelationParser.java:47)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.AbstractXlsxSAXHandler.parseZipEntry(AbstractXlsxSAXHandler.java:87)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxResultSet.(XlsxResultSet.java:218)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxResultSet.(XlsxResultSet.java:329)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxSheetTableModel.(XlsxSheetTableModel.java:113)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSetConfiguration.createExcelTableModel(ExcelResultSetConfiguration.java:216)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSetConfiguration.createExcelTableModel(ExcelResultSetConfiguration.java:193)
  • com.rapidminer.studio.io.data.internal.file.excel.ExcelSheetSelectionPanelModel$1.loadTableModel(ExcelSheetSelectionPanelModel.java:212)
  • com.rapidminer.studio.io.data.internal.file.excel.ExcelSheetSelectionPanelModel$1.run(ExcelSheetSelectionPanelModel.java:176)
  • com.rapidminer.gui.tools.ProgressThread$3.run(ProgressThread.java:586)
  • java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
  • java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
  • java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) 
So... what is wrong with using "--" in a name like SMA -- 20? And more to the point why would innocuous and commonly used brackets cause problems?

EDIT: I have now removed "--" from all my many Excel file headers and not re-added the original brackets, but I still get a NullPointerException error? That makes zero sense to me!

Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers

• SkyTraderSkyTrader Member Posts: 88 Contributor II
    Thanks @hbajpai, but I already amended all my Excel files. Took an hour!
    I'll remember the polynomial idea if it happens again,

Best
    Sky Trader.