Options

Feature Request: Set repository permissions operator

christos_karraschristos_karras Member Posts: 50 Guru
edited January 2021 in Help
I have created a RapidMiner process to deploy a model and all the files it needs to a server (RapidMiner processes to prepare the data and score the model, configuration, etc). It copies files from a local repository to a server repository. This worked fine as long as I was the only user who did these deployments, but once other users started taking this responsibility, we found that keeping permissions up to date for all files was a major struggle. When a file is copied to the server, by default it is accessible only to the user who copied the file. So we need to manually login the server web interface, and recursively set permissions again on multiple folders (in studio, as far as I know there is no way to recursively set permissions). Otherwise, the deployment process will fail if the deployment was last performed by another user, because the files would only be writable by the user who did the previous deployment.

We would need an operator to update permissions on a repository entry or folder, and ideally with an option to do it recursively (but in the worst case we can do it on individual entries by listing and looping through them). We would use this to assign rights to a group instead of individual users.

I guess the "best" recommendation would be for us to migrate to a Git-based server repository and use that to manage our deployments, but this requires a Docker-based RapidMiner Server installation and we are using a Windows server, so we can't do that for now.

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    MichaelKnopfMichaelKnopf Administrator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 31 RM Data Scientist
    Solution Accepted
    @christos_karras , thank you for the detailed request.

We just released a new extension named Admin Tools. As for now, it contains a single operator named Edit Access Rights that exposes the same functionality as the RapidMiner Studio dialog of the same name.

Unfortunately, this also means that it does not support recursive operations (yet). However, you can edit multiple entries at the same time or combine it with operators such as List Repository Objects from the Operator Toolbox.

Please let us know whether this works for you.

- Michael

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    we are on it and testing some ideas in our test environments. I will keep you posted.

~Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    christos_karraschristos_karras Member Posts: 50 Guru
    Thanks @mschmitz and @Michael,

I tested the new extension and this is exactly what I needed.