Options

SMOTE Upsampling Operator With Multi-Label Classification

NawafNawaf Member Posts: 16 Learner I
Hi!
 I wanted to ask if it is possible to use SMOTE Upsampling operator with multi-label classification? If so how? If not what is the alternative operator to overcome imbalanced classes?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Solution Accepted
    good question. Both ways are feasible and can be succesful. What I would remind you about is, that if you use tree-based models like a RF then the additional examples from upsampling allows "deeper trees", since there are just more examples. You this get a very different tree.

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi @nawaf,
    sure. you just use it #classes-1 times to get all classes to the same level.

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    David_ADavid_A Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 297 RM Research
    Hi @Nawaf ,

you could simply run SMOTE multiple time for the minority classes. So afterwards you have an up-sampled data set with all classes being balanced. Of course this is only really feasible when the number of classes is not too high.

Best,
    David
  • Options
    NawafNawaf Member Posts: 16 Learner I
    Thanks folks for your response! The number of difference between class 0 and 1 (using the binary classification) is almost too high as normal for multi-label classification problem. So do you think finding the best threshold is better than applying SMOTE ?