macro concept in programming

wclasterwclaster Member, University Professor Posts: 43 University Professor
Hello. I am looking at the Studio tutorial #4 called Macros and Sampling. Can someone explain in familiar programming language (like Python or Java etc.) what macros are in RapidMiner? I am not really sure. The are said to be variables but I don't think that is the full story.  And do they have anything to do with macros in Excel (Word, etc)? Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted
    Hi @wclaster,

macros in RapidMiner are process-global string variables. They aren't related to macros in Excel and Word. 

You can define them in the process context, they will act as "process parameters" when executing an existing process from another. This allows you to modularize your process structures.

There are operators to "switch" between macros and example sets. You can use Generate Attribute to take the value of a macro and use it to create attributes using a formula language, for example. Or you use Extract Macro to get data out of an example set.

Regards,

Balázs

Answers

• wclasterwclaster Member, University Professor Posts: 43 University Professor
    Thank you for the explanation. Knowing that they are not related to Excel macros helps a lot. If you know the reason they are called macros please let me know. I noticed that rapidminer has unique naming conventions. For example, polynomial data type. I have never encountered that before although it is obvious (with a little thought) where the name comes from. Nominal + poly. Anyway, thanks again.