Options

High Accuracy, low recall and low precision - how to optimise this?

lordlord Member Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi experts,

I have a dataset with about 40,000 data and would like to do a classification. I have a binominal label (yes/no). To create the model I take a decision tree. Then I want to apply the created model to a training data set (30,000 data) via the operator Apply model.

Overall I have a very high accuracy, of almost 94%. But my problem is that the class "no" has a very high recall (98%) and a high precision (94%). The class "yes", on the other hand, has a recall of 7% and a precision of 19%.

I work with the Optimize operator (Grid). I also use Cross Validation as a sub-process. Furthermore I work with the Performance Operator (Classification) and I have already used accuracy and kappa as main criteria.

I know that there have already been similar questions here in the community, but unfortunately they haven't helped me yet.

Really looking forward to your help & thanks already upfront!

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    first I would consider to move away from a Decision Tree and try a Random Forest. Your Decision Tree is likely a small one, which mostly predicts " yes" and only in rare cases predicts "no". You are bias towards the majority class of your sample.

Afterwards you may consider to tune your threshold using the respective threshold operators.

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany