Connecting with SQL Server Express 2005

jakesjakes Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
edited July 2019 in Help
Hi,

I am new to Rapid Miner.

I have just installed the new version of RM (5.0) and I am trying to connect to a SQL server (Express) database on the same home machine. For some reason it always gives me an error.

Even though i did download the driver(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C47053EB-3B64-4794-950D-81E1EC91C1BA&displaylang=en) and copied both the .jar files into the /lib folder, when i look under Tools -> Database Drivers, the SQL Server (Microsoft) driver is not enabled.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Jake
Tagged:

Answers

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Jake,
    please copy the driver into the /lib/jdbc directory. This is the only path searched automatically. Please tell me, if this does not work either.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • jakesjakes Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Hi Sebastian,

Many thanks for your reply.

I did copy the sqljdbc.jar file into the /lib/jdbc and still it doesn't work.

I would really appreciate if you could help.

Regards,

Jake
  • haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Hi there,

You may not need to go though this pain - I can connect to SQL Express dbases using the JTDS driver that comes ready installed with RM5. If that fails enclose the error messages from the log in your next post.

• jakesjakes Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Hi haddock,

Many thanks for your reply.

I am using the wizard available with RM5 and it still gives me an error using the JTDS driver.

The specific error I am getting is " Please check your connection settings and revalidate the connection URL: 'jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433/dbschemaname'.

Would be great if you could help!

Cheers,

Jake
  • landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Jake,
    seems to me, there's no sever available on the specified address with the schema "dbschemaname". Anyway this name seems to be unrealistic silly, it is correct?

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • el_chiefel_chief Member Posts: 63 Contributor II
    Are you using a Named Instance on the SQL Server?

if so, change your connection string to this:

jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://domain:1433/databasename;instance=sqlexpress

http://www.youtube.com/user/VancouverData