Rapid Miner on OSX fails to start [SLOVED]

danielcohenmartdanielcohenmart Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi Everybody

I have a mac mini with OS X 10.4, all updates installed

Since Apple did not release java 1.6 for this version of the OS, I've installed soy latte (http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/), an Open Source implementaion of the JDK for 1.6

If I execute java -version command I get

./soylatte16-i386-1.0.2/bin/java -version
java version "1.6.0_03-p3"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-p3-landonf_03_feb_2008_02_12-b00)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-p3-landonf_03_feb_2008_02_12-b00, mixed mode)

This jvm works great, swing works, everything java works, but when I start rapid miner I get

Launching RapidMiner, platform ANY Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
       at com.rapid_i.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:334)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
       at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
       at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)
       at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:68)
       at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.<clinit>(XToolkit.java:89)
       at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
       at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)
       at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:836)
       at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
       at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:828)
       at sun.swing.SwingUtilities2$AATextInfo.getAATextInfo(SwingUtilities2.java:120)
       at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel.initComponentDefaults(MetalLookAndFeel.java:1556)
       at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLookAndFeel.getDefaults(BasicLookAndFeel.java:130)
       at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel.getDefaults(MetalLookAndFeel.java:1591)
       at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:537)
       at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:577)
       at javax.swing.UIManager.initializeDefaultLAF(UIManager.java:1331)
       at javax.swing.UIManager.initialize(UIManager.java:1418)
       at javax.swing.UIManager.maybeInitialize(UIManager.java:1406)
       at javax.swing.UIManager.getDefaults(UIManager.java:656)
       at javax.swing.UIManager.getColor(UIManager.java:698)
       at com.vlsolutions.swing.docking.ui.DockingUISettings.<init>(DockingUISettings.java:156)
       at com.rapidminer.gui.look.ui.RapidDockingUISettings.<init>(RapidDockingUISettings.java:34)
       at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.run(RapidMinerGUI.java:198)
       at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.main(RapidMinerGUI.java:524)
       ... 5 more

I do have X11 installed, so why do I get this error?
Is it related to plaf? How do I disable the Aqua plaf? Is it possible to disable the skins of the UI and use plain old java swing?

Any help would be appreciated

Answers

• SebastianLohSebastianLoh Member Posts: 99 Contributor II
    Hi danielcohenmartoy.

I'm affraid their is no easy option to switch off the RM Look&Feel (it is not Aqua though).

If you do not have a chance to upgrade to 10.5 you might check your X11 setttings.

Does other X11 applications start the X11-server automaticly or do you need to start the server before you start the X11 application?

Ciao Sebastian.
  • danielcohenmartdanielcohenmart Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Hi Sebastian

Thanks for the post

The other applications start X11 automatically, but they are all OS X binaries.

You ask me about x11 settings... Wich setting should I check? Do you want me to post a x11 config file here? Which one?
    Hi danielcohenmartoy,

try this:

- download an arbitrary Java application (the .jar file) with a gui, eg. this one here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdedit/files/

- try to start it with your soylatte java version

does it work?

If this works then I do not know what to suggest else. If it does not work then I guess something is not right with your X11-server and/or soylatte installation. I was dealing with soylatte too (but not with RM) before Apple released the java version 6 for 32Bit Macs and I rember it was a pain in the ass.

Ciao Sebastian
  • danielcohenmartdanielcohenmart Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Rapid Miner 5 is confirmed to work on Os X 10.4

Here's how

Install SoyLatte (http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/)

Make sure you have X11 installed, it comes on the OSX install CD

Go to "Applications / Utilities / X11", double click

Open XTERM

write this "/Applications/soylatte/bin/java -jar /Applications/rapidminer/lib/rapidminer.jar" (assuming soylatte is installed on "/Applications/soylatte/" and rapidminer in "/Applications/rapidminer/lib")

The reason you have to write such a long command is that XTerm does not inherit the PATH of the OSX terminal, I don't know why.

Hi danielcohenmartoy,

great you got it to run with soylatte under Mac OS X 10.4 ! And thanks for sharing the HowTo.

Ciao Sebastian