Options

Best Setting x64

B_MinerB_Miner Member Posts: 72 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi guys -

I just got a new PC: i-7 930 Intel quad processors, Windows 7 pro 64 bit, 18 gig of RAM.

My question, how to get configure RM to take advantage of the horsepower? The default # of threads when I downloaded RM 5 64 bit was 8. Anything I can do to get optimal performance generally?

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    wesselwessel Member Posts: 537 Maven
    How you have 18 GB?

You use 4GB modules?
  • Options
    4 4 4 4 2 I believe. But of course that was not the question :)
  • Options
    What I was wondering is if there is something akin to setting the maxheap parameter in WEKA to allow JVM access to more memory. Is this needed/possible in RM? If so, how should we change the parameter?

Thanks!
  • Options
    wesselwessel Member Posts: 537 Maven
    java -Xmx18G -jar ./rapidminer/lib/rapidminer.jar
  • Options
    Thanks Wessell! Do you just run that from the command prompt once you are in the RM directory?
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    the exe file of RapidMiner will always use around 90% of the free available physical memory as far as I remember. I would not suggest taking more, because then swapping might occur although java have enough free space if just it would know that it has to execute the garbage collection.
    Anyway you can directly start the jar file from RapidMiner's lib directory or use the start script in the scripts directory. The scripts are easily modifiable to change the amount of allocated memory.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    dragoljubdragoljub Member Posts: 241 Contributor II
    Hi,

By default how much max ram is allocated to RM (in the system monitor view) from your 18 Gigs?

Some times I find that the MAX Ram is quite a bit lower than my total capacity not taken up by windows.

-Gagi

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Gagi,
    as I said, the exe file launching RapidMiner allocates 90% of the free memory for RapidMiner. In extreme settings like yours (10% of 18gigs are nearly 2 gigs) it might become more handy to edit the RapidMinerGUI.bat and set the memory manually.

Greetings,
      Sebastian