Options

Extending Algorithms

darckeendarckeen Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
I am interested in tinkering with ML algorithm's actual loss and boosting functions and I'm pretty good with java so I thought I might look into weka or rapid miner.

With the community edition of rapid miner is it possible to extend ML algorithms, view the java code etc?  And how easy is this compared to doing something similar in Weka?

Answers

• Options
    RalfKlinkenbergRalfKlinkenberg Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, RMResearcher, Member, Unconfirmed, University Professor Posts: 68 RM Founder
    Hi Darckeen,

yes, you can download and view the RapidMiner Community Edition Java source code and extend the ML algorithms. Simply download the ZIP file version of RapidMiner. The "src" subdirectory contains the source code. I guess that it is easier to extend RapidMiner than Weka, because RapidMiner provides the more modern and flexible infractructure and hence extending existing and implementing new ML algorithms should be easier.

For getting started with how to extend RapidMiner, I recommend the following whitepaper:
    "How to extend RapidMiner 5"
    http://rapid-i.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,flypage.tpl/product_id,52/category_id,5/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,180/

Best regards,
    Ralf
  • Options
    darckeendarckeen Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    That sounds great and thanks for the quick reply.  Where can I find a listing of the implemented algorithms?
  • Options
    RalfKlinkenbergRalfKlinkenberg Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, RMResearcher, Member, Unconfirmed, University Professor Posts: 68 RM Founder
    Hi Darckeen,

you find an overview of all implemented ML algorithms inside RapidMiner:
    • Start RapidMiner,
    • change to the process design view, for example by selecting "New Process",
    • take a look at the "Operator" tab at the left,
    • where all available more than 600 RapidMiner operators are listed,
    • including more than 100 ML algorithms listed under "Modelling".
    Of course you also find all of the algorithms in the source code.

Cheers,
    Ralf