"svm output range very differnt from neural net"

bp1977bp1977 Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
edited May 2019 in Help
Hi,

Firstly let me thank you for a wonderful product, ive being playing with for a few days and its a lot of fun, if a bit overwhelming to start.

As a hobby Ive been using nueral nets to predict horseracing results for a while now and wanted to give svm a try.

the svm is doing well but the output range is very strange. My target is win (1) or lose(0), so i expect to get back some number between 0 and 1.instead I get ranges between -2 and 10 and the value is inverted, so for a winner it returns ~-2 and for a loser ~10.

Any idea how I can get the svm to scale the output like a nn?

Tagged:

Answers

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    actually it seems to me that you are trying to solve a classification problem (win or loose) by a regression. RapidMiner does all the handling of ranges and probabilities internally if you just set the label to a nominal value. So if you use the numerical to binominal operator to change the data accordingly, SVM as well as NeuralNet will produce a crisp classification and a confidence for each class.

Greetings,
    Sebastian