"Problem with Oracle driver on non-standard port?"

cjturnercjturner Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
edited May 2019 in Help
RapidMiner 5.0.0.11 on windows XP.

As per instructions, I have identified the Oracle connector and path in my local
%userprofile%\.RapidMinder5\jdbc_properties.xml, and everything looks OK. 

One non-standard feature:  We operate our Oracle servers on a custom port.

I have several other apps that use jdbc (Talend, JasperSoft), and the connection URL looks good in RapidMiner.  However, I get "Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection"  when I attempt to connect.

any ideas?
Tagged:

Answers

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    what does the "Test" Button in the Manage Database Connections Dialog say?

Greetings,
    Sebastian
  • cjturnercjturner Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    Yes, the error indicated occurs when I push the Test button, while defining/editing the connection.
  • landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    well actually I doubt this is a problem of RapidMiner. As the error indicates it seems to be located in your network settings. Might be you blocked outgoing connections from java / RapidMiner in your firewall?
    Connecting to non default ports works for me at least with MySQL...

I guess I don't have to mention that we could invest more time helping you if you would have signed a support contract :)

Greetings,
      Sebastian
    I don't see how it would be a network/firewall/client problem external to RM.

I regularly use two other (java) applications, connecting to the same Oracle instance(s), with the same Oracle jdbc driver, from the same workstation/system.  Those apps are (1) JasperSoft's iReport (3.6.0 and the latest 3.7.x, community and Pro);  and (2) Talend's Open Studio (ver4.1) for ETL.

I also tested with MySQL, works fine.
    OK, FIXED, category is "not exactly a problem." 

The problem is in the way RM handles ORA-28002 "errors"  and ORA-28011.  These error messages look like this:

ORA-28002: the password will expire within %n days
    ORA-28011: The account will expire soon; change your password now

The message appears just after a client logs in.  In our shop, these notices start coming up 2 weeks before the password must be changed.  It was a coincidence that I needed to do some analysis during this period.

The Manage Database Connections task generates an error when this is detected.
    Hi,
    thank you, that's good to know. Could you please file a bug in our bugtracker? We could try to avoid this confusion for other users.

Greetings,
      Sebastian