how to add jdbc driver for data base connection (for analysing data)

michaelhechtmichaelhecht Member Posts: 89 Maven
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,

where can I add new drivers for data base connections for analysing data.
This is not described in the current documentation "5.1 Setting up Database Connections".
Tagged:

Answers

• fischerfischer Member Posts: 439 Maven
    Hi,

just place the JDBC JAR in the lib folder. What database system do you want to use?

Best,
    Simon
  • michaelhechtmichaelhecht Member Posts: 89 Maven
    Hmmm ... I did exactly this, i.e. placed the jar file in the lib folder and also restarted RA.
    If I then goto "Datenbankverbindungen" --> "Neue Verbindung einrichten" (sorry I've only the german translation)
    I get all databases under "Datenbanksystem" that where delivred originally but not the new one (what's not surprising,
    since even no classpath adaptation was done, etc.)

So I guess that there is to do a little bit more than just copying the jar file.  ;)

By the way: I want to use IBM Informix.
  • michaelhechtmichaelhecht Member Posts: 89 Maven
    Meanwhile I tried to follow the instructions under

http://onjava.com/onjava/2004/02/25/jbossjdbc.html

but afterwards the server failed to start, so its obviously not the right way.

(By the way: IBM DB2 is also missing).
    Hi,

the link you post does not seem to be the latest to me :-) Try Section 7.3 on this page:

http://docs.jboss.org/jbossas/jboss4guide/r4/html/ch7.chapt.html

Also, in your JBoss (RA) folder you can find a sample for DB2 under docs/examples/jca.

In RA there is no counterpart for the "Manage Database Drivers" dialog you know from RM. However, you can simply define your data source using the -ds.xml file, assign it a JNDI name and then reference it from your "Read Database" operator via its JNDI name. (Or get an EE if you really need that dialog :-))

Best,
    Simon
  • sunshinesunshine Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    I would like to use RA to present results of analysis done in RM.

But having problems with connecting to DB2. JNDI= DB2DS?

Where exactly in "Read Database" operator I can reference to it?
  • ShashankHNShashankHN Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    Hi all,

I am facing issues with the third screen of the setup. I want to use Rapid Analytics with Microsoft SQL server. The user manual says it is possible, by placing the necessary JDBC driver in the folder you've mentioned. After doing this and using the wizard to start the installation, i get stuck at the "test connection" section

What are the default values to be given in Database Port and Database Schema for MS SQL server? Assuming that the DAtabase Host would be my machine URL.

Please help me out with this as i am not able to proceed further  ???
  • spoortispoorti Member Posts: 24 Contributor II
    I am trying to connect to Vertica database and can not proceed. Can someone please help ?
    I copied the jdbc driver to ../server/default/lib
    Created "vertica-ds.xml" in ../server/default/deploy/ with changes for vertica

How do I use this connection into 'Read Database' Operator.
    Works just fine with RapidMiner with 'Manage Database connections' and 'Manage Database drivers'

Really appreciate the help.

Update :

I selected 'jndi" as "define connection" in 'Read Database' parameters
    when I give jndi name as 'VerticaDS' I getthe error as specified in boot.log after restarting the RapidAnalytics server ,
    I get the following error

Cannot create example set meta data: Failed to lookup 'VerticaDS':
    javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file: java.naming.factory.initial.

Any idea how to fix it ?
    Hi,

currently there is noway of adding new types of JDBC drivers via the Web interface (though you can of course configure the connections themselves). You could, by editing config files, but since you want to go via JNDI  you don't have this problem anyway. I believe your JNDI name is wrong however. Shouldn't that be jndi/VerticaDS?

Best,
    Simon
  • gabuzogabuzo Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    I would say in that case it should be [tt]java:/VerticaDS[/tt] .

To use direct name, you could set the [tt]<use-java-context>false</use-java-context>[/tt] parameter.

Osisoft PIJDBC Asset Framework example:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <datasources>
     <local-tx-datasource>
       <jndi-name>PIafDS</jndi-name>
       <use-java-context>false</use-java-context>
       <connection-url>jdbc:pi://4.4.4.4:5461/Data Source=8.8.8.8; Integrated Security=SSPI;</connection-url>
       <driver-class>com.osisoft.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
       <user-name>xxx</user-name>
       <password>yyy</password>
     </local-tx-datasource>
    </datasources>

See actual documentation: http://docs.jboss.org/jbossas/6/JCA_Guide/en-US/html_single/