FeatureSelection: "Stop Dialog" doesn't work

nicugeorgiannicugeorgian Member Posts: 31 Maven
Hi,

I have a FeatureSelection operator which embedds a cross-validation with W-M5P.

The process runs since a few days. Unfortunately, I cannot stop it. Nothing happens when pressing the "OK" button of the "Stop Dialog". Any ideas?

Of course, I can close the RapidMiner application, but I would like to get an intermediate result as a result of running FeatureSelection. More exactly, I would like to get the best subset of features found so far.

Thanks,
Geo

Answers

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hello Geo,

The process runs since a few days. Unfortunately, I cannot stop it. Nothing happens when pressing the "OK" button of the "Stop Dialog". Any ideas?
    As far as I remember, the current generation is finished before the optimization is actually stopped. For large numbers of individuals or if each inner evaluation takes large amounts of time, this might need a lot of time before the intermediate results are shown. I have tried this on the following process and everything works fine, you have just to wait some time until the current generation was finished:

<operator name="Root" class="Process" expanded="yes">
        <operator name="ExampleSetGenerator" class="ExampleSetGenerator">
            <parameter key="target_function" value="sum"/>
        </operator>
        <operator name="NoiseGenerator" class="NoiseGenerator">
            <list key="noise">
            </list>
            <parameter key="random_attributes" value="5"/>
        </operator>
        <operator name="GeneticAlgorithm" class="GeneticAlgorithm" expanded="yes">
            <parameter key="maximum_number_of_generations" value="300"/>
            <parameter key="show_stop_dialog" value="true"/>
            <operator name="XValidation" class="XValidation" expanded="yes">
                <parameter key="sampling_type" value="shuffled sampling"/>
                <operator name="W-M5P" class="W-M5P">
                </operator>
                <operator name="OperatorChain" class="OperatorChain" expanded="yes">
                    <operator name="ModelApplier" class="ModelApplier">
                        <list key="application_parameters">
                        </list>
                    </operator>
                    <operator name="Performance" class="Performance">
                    </operator>
                </operator>
            </operator>
        </operator>
    </operator>
    Cheers,
    Ingo
  • RasputinRasputin Member Posts: 16 Maven
    I stumbled upon the same problem when using Operators like YAGGA. Probably it would be a good idea to show a message like "please wait while finishing the current generation", or to offer an option to stop immediately.

-Rasputin
  • landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    the message would be a good idea. Unfortunately there's no possibility in java to simply kill a thread immideately....

Greetings,
      Sebastian