Options

[SOLVED] poor(?) CPU utilization

fritmorefritmore Member Posts: 90 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
hi
on a HPC server a RM process takes only a limited fixed amount of CPU time instead of utilizing all available CPU as if RM hunger for resources was capped?
Why is that?
ty

Answers

• Options
    Dear boys and girls

that was not a metaphysical or rhetorical question.

Please dont be shy and shoot, answer, discuss.....

I think it is a weird RM behaviour and it is a problem.

ty
    fritmore wrote:

hi
    on a HPC server a RM process takes only a limited fixed amount of CPU time instead of utilizing all available CPU as if RM hunger for resources was capped?
    Why is that?
    ty
  • Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi,

until now, the parallelization of RapidMiner has only limited capacity. We plan a major rework for the next major release (i.e. RapidMiner 6). Until then, you gain more if you start more than one instance of RapidMiner to handle several problems in parallel.

Best,
    Marius
  • Options
    Hi Marius

this happens regardless whether  any parallelization features are on or off.
    The CPU utilization is simply capped for any type of operator or parallel settings for RM.

Sure one can run multiple jobs but this is not a solution.

f
    Marius wrote:

Hi,

until now, the parallelization of RapidMiner has only limited capacity. We plan a major rework for the next major release (i.e. RapidMiner 6). Until then, you gain more if you start more than one instance of RapidMiner to handle several problems in parallel.

Best,
    Marius
  • Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Yes, you are completely right, and as I said above we are planning true parallelization of all RapidMiner processes for the next major release. Until then we all have to live with the limited parallelization support of the current version.

Best,
    Marius
  • Options
    ok thx