[SOLVED] convert binominal to nominal or to two attributes

stablumstablum Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,

I have imported a dataset in which the gender (m/f) has been interpreted as "binominal". If I am not mistaken, this means that there is a mapping true/false is assigned to the two values m/f.

Since I need to find association rules, this is not correct.

My question is: is it possible to convert a binominal field to nominal and then expand it again to two nominal attributes (one for male and the other for female) in order to be correctly used with the "FP-Growth" and "Create Association Rules" operators?

Answers

• MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Binominal only means that you have exactly two nominal values. There is no connection to True or False - it could be anything: m/f, yes/no, green/blue...

Anyway, to convert it into two attributes, use the Nominal to Binominal operator.

Best regards,
    Marius
  • stablumstablum Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    Thanks for your answer. Actually I found the exact solution to my problem:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18385026/convert-binominal-to-nominal-in-rapid-miner
    Nominal to Binominal operator has a "transform binominal" checkbox which does exactly that.

You don't have to transfer the binominal attribute to nominal first. It works even for binominal attributes on input.