Options

Detach tab not working on second monitor

sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello.  I tried "detaching" a tab in the RM Studio results screen (right-click, then select "detach") and then dragging it to my second monitor so I could see two result tabs at the same time.  It vanished.  Help?  Does RM Studio not support dual monitors?  Running 6.5.001 on Mac Pro with two 1080p monitors side-by-side (one via HDMI and another via DisplayPort/Thunderbolt).  Thanks.

Scott

Answers

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

the docking framework we utilize sadly has some problems. You can get it to work though, it's just a bit tedious to set up:

1. In your regular Design perspective, click "View" -> "Show View" -> "Result Overview" in the top menu bar.
    2. Drag the view out of the UI until it becomes detached (you'll see the mouse turning into a blue arrow).
    3. Move the new window like any other window to your second monitor.
    4. Click "Tools" -> "Preferences..." in the top menu bar. Go to the User Interface tab and change "Show results when process completes" to false.

You can now view results on your second monitor while working with your process on the other one. The setup is saved after a restart so you only need to go through these steps once.
    Final result for me: http://imgur.com/PHidJbo

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Hi Marco -thanks for that but when I drag the detached window to the second monitor, it vanishes.  that's the problem,.  Next idea?

Scott
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

there is a problem if you are running Studio on say a Retina display and try to move an undocked window over to a regular monitor. They use different scaling and as such Mac cannot render Studio windows on both monitors at the same time - effectively forcing all Studio components to be on the same monitor.
    If you try to move only between two monitors with the same scaling, it should work just fine. I admittedly only did it on Windows today. If that does not work on Mac, I don't have any ideas to offer.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    both monitors are scaled to 1080p so that is not the problem.  Don't know what is.  Feature request?  This would be VERY nice.

Thanks for the quick response.

Scott
  • Options
    Hi,

yea an improved multi-monitor support is indeed a good feature request. And you are not the only one who is interested in that. We will look into this in the future.

Regards,
    Marco