results window

sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
Hi again...a few more simple (?) feature requests for the results window (besides fixing the detach bug so that it works on two mac monitors...)

- when you detach a results tab, you should be able to keep it open when you go back to the design mode.  I need this all the time when I wish to see the list of attributes at the result in order to fix things in my process
- I love the right-click "store to repository" feature...it would be lovely to also have the option to "save to CSV" and "save to Excel" from there as well
- it would be very nice to reorder the attributes in the result window "on the fly" rather than put the operator in the process.  I end up dragging a column to the left a LONG way in order to see it where I want it (sometimes I have over 100 attributes)
- when viewing the results in "Data" mode, it would be nice to click a button to expand the visible width of the columns to fit the length of the attribute names (similar to the Format -> Column -> AutoFit to Contents in Excel) and/or just allow text-wrapping of attribute names

and again if you have two monitors...

- have the option to have the design on one monitor and the results in the other!
0 votes

Fixed and Released · Last Updated

Comments

• MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Scott,

I think most of your requests are valid.

In the last point: try double-clicking "between" two column header -- that will auto-resize one column. Try to hold Ctrl+Shift and double click to resize all columns.

~Marius
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Hi again...just making another plea to get the dual monitors working in a mac environment  - both to detach and view on a second monitor and to view results and design simultaneously.

Thanks.

Scott
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

the first one is possible today unless you are using different DPI scaling between the two monitors. Say you have 2 external monitors with the same resolution connected to your Mac and then drag from one of them to the other, it works just fine. Between different DPI monitors things become tricky and the Java UI we use does not support it and thus also not trivial to fix.
    The second request is unfortunately even more complicated to implement because it would require drastic changes to the underlying framework which is responsible for making components movable :(

Your requests are not forgotten, just wanted to give you a little bit of information why they are not available at the moment.

Regards,
    Marco
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Hi Marco,

Unfortunately both my monitors are at the exact same resolution (1080p).  I just tried scaling them both down to 720p and still cannot drag anything to the other window.  What is your resolution?

Scott
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

I suspect that it's then either the first monitor where Studio is started (e.g. if it starts on your MacBook, it has different scaling than the monitors and it won't work later).
    Or the second option is that it would only work if all monitors connected have the exact same scaling.
    Otherwise it is indeed as you describe, just tested it on a MacBook Pro.
    I can move them around at will on a Windows 10 machine, but there all 3 displays have the same scaling.

Regards,
    Marco
    OK!!  I finally figured this out.  You may want to put this in your help somewhere.

So there is a default feature on Mac OS called "Spaces".  It allows you to have more than one working space.  It used to be called "Expose" and now is under "Mission Control" in System Preferences.  In order to use RapidMiner on dual monitors, the checkbox "Displays have separate Spaces" MUST BE UNCHECKED.  This is normally not a problem in other applications where using dual monitors is common (e.g. Photoshop), but somehow RapidMiner does not know how to handle Spaces.  If you uncheck this box, it all works.

I would also strongly recommend for Mac users that they turn on their "function" keys on the full keyboard, as RapidMiner is still very PC-oriented and hence uses them a lot.  Mac apps almost never use them.  You do this again in System Preferences under "Keyboard" and checking the box labeled "Use all F1, F2, ...".  Again this is NOT a default on Mac OS.  It's the same thing about all the right-click stuff in RapidMiner - you really need a right-click mouse which is not normally needed.

I am still going to be annoying and again request/beg/plead that allows dual monitor support that shows "Design" in one monitor and "Results" in the other.  This seems so obvious to me.

Thanks!

Scott

Hi,

thanks for sharing :)
    I will forward this for the docs page.

Regards,
    Marco