How to weight examples like SPSS?

tmyerstmyers Member Posts: 21 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi. I am new to RM and am trying to learn about its Weighting functions. I want to weight a dataset like in SPSS, where I select a single weight variable to weight examples (or cases in SPSS-speak). I would select the variable to use as the weight, and any subsequent aggregations I would perform would apply this weight variable to the examples included in the calculation.

I have been reading the definitions of the various Weighting variables and most seem to either derive weights from the dataset itself OR apply weights on an attribute-by-attribute basis......I'm just just looking to apply a single weight variable to everything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated-

Thanks,

Tim
Tagged:

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Hi tim,

you can set a attribute to the role weight using Set Role operator. This is then used in models, aggregations on an example-by example basis. Of course you can first generate the attribute with a Generate Attributes operator.

~Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • tmyerstmyers Member Posts: 21 Contributor II
    Thanks Martin. That seems to work for me so long as I remove any examples with a NULL value for the attribute set as the Weight role. I had a few stray examples that didn't have a value for my Weight attribute.

Am I correct in assuming that whichever attribute I set as a Weight must have values for all examples?