[SOLVED] how to hit eclipse breakpoint in file reading operator

owenowen Member Posts: 22 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello all,
I am setting up my environment so that I can write an operator that reads a custom file format.
I have successfully hit an Eclipse breakpoint set in main().

Now I want to break in an operator.
To test my setup, I  set an Eclipse breakpoint in

com.rapidminer.operator.nio.ExcelFormatExampleSource.ExcelFormatExampleSource
at "fileInputPort.addPrecondition"

Then I ran RM5.3 in debug mode of Eclipse and went to RM design perspective and dragged the
Import / Data / Read Excel item onto the canvas. But no break occurred. What triggers the ExcelFormatExampleSource constructor?
Also tried with Import Data Read Excel with Format, same result.

Thanks,

Owen

Tagged:

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

bad choice to use excel as there do exist quite a few old versions of said operator which are no longer in use ;D
    Have a look at com.rapidminer.operator.nio.ExcelExampleSource for the currently used one.
    To find out which java class matches which operator, you can check the "operatorsCore.xml" file which contains the name of each operator (replace whitespaces by underscore) and the used java class for it.

Regards,
    Marco
  • owenowen Member Posts: 22 Contributor II
    Thank you for that suggestion.
    The solution was a combination of choosing a better place to put a breakpoint (your idea), and learning a bit more about the Eclipse environment.
    I was using the wrong approach to launch a debug session in Eclipse. The Eclipse "Debug" perspective is the most helpful place to begin a debug session.