"RM Frezees trying to connect to PostgreSQL"

GaboGabo Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited June 2019 in Help
Hi Guys, Thanks for the space. I'm trying to connect to my PostgreSQL DB 9.2 Data Warehouse and every time I try the RM seems to freeze. I've tried using the PostgreSQL driver which comes with RM CE and I've also tried with one that I had downloaded from the PostgreSQL (9.2) . I've tried connecting with a MySQL DB and everything works fine.

Do you have any idea what could be happening?

Thanks you very much!!

Gabo.
Tagged:

Answers

• MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi Gabo,

where does the database run? Is it on the same machine as RapidMiner, in a local network, or do you access it via the internet?

Best regards,
    Marius
  • GaboGabo Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Hi Marius, thank you for the reply. The connection is via internet, but the MySQL connection it is also via internet and it works just fine. Could it be some problem related with PostgreSQL? My machine is not the only one with this problem I tried with another one.

I'm the first one with this problem?
    What information could be of use for you to know more about this issue?

Thanks you again.
  • BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi!

The PostgreSQL JDBC driver takes very long when connecting because it communicates lots of data "interactively" with the server.

It isn't noticeable in a local network but I regularly see 45 seconds of connect time when used over good internet links to a remote PostgreSQL server, not only with RapidMiner but with other Java programs as well.

Maybe you just need to wait?

You can use Wireshark or some other network measuring tool to see if RapidMiner is still communicating with the server.

There is a newly developed beta JDBC driver at http://impossibl.github.io/pgjdbc-ng/ using asynchronous IO. When I tested it, connections to the server were much quicker. But it's a beta version.
    If you are willing to test it (e. g. for a development project without important business data), it could do what you want and reduce you connect times.