RapidMiner 6 freezes in OSX 10.9

maverikmaverik Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello! I run into frequent problems that RapidMiner freezes. It does so at about 2-3 minutes after starting, and whenever I make some manipulations (view data, modify process etc). Any advice on where to troubleshoot?
Cheers!

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

can you please answer the following questions for us so we can try to locate the cause:

1) Does the issue happen after you've started working with your data, or does it also appear when starting RapidMiner (not loading your process) and only clicking around in the GUI?
    2) If the answer to question 1) is that it only starts after opening your process: Do you use a database connection inside the process, and if so, to what database?
    3) How do you launch RapidMiner Studio 6?
    4) What values does the performance monitor show during these slowdowns? You can enable it by selecting "View" -> "Show View" -> "System Monitor" in the menu bar.
    5) What does the log file (USER_HOME/.RapidMiner/rm.log) say?
    6) Which exact Java version are you using? (type java -version into your terminal)

Regards,
    Marco
  • maverikmaverik Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
    Hi, Marco! Many thanks!

1. I appears after starting to work with data. A recent incident is like the following. Only the process freezes, the other functions (save, open etc) don't. So I suspect that it is simply that if I stop a process in the middle of a run, I am not allowed to make any further changes to it (even if to the process that has not been reached yet).

a. I load a previous process from local (retrieve data->set role->validation:default+apply+performance). I do notice a red dot and a yellow triangle in validation but decide to give it a try just to see what happens.
    b. I click on RUN, the button turns green. At the mean time, the indicator in a process (data) turns green, the status indicator on the bottom left corner turns red (presumably reflects the outstanding problem in validation). Timer start to count.
    c. I change my mind and decide to stop it and figure out the problem in Validation, so I click the stop bottom. The pause bottom is always grey, anyway.
    d. The current running stops, and freezes. I could not make further modifications.
    e. However, I can discard it by starting a new process.

2. I use a local dataset that I store in Local Repository/data.

3. I keep a short cut on the dock, and launch from there.

4. System monitor does not seem to change much, it fluctuates around 130MB and says to use up 1024MB.

5.  Still trying to figure this out.

6. 7.0_45
  • tmanasatmanasa Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    Linking a second thread on RM6 freezing:

http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,7494.0.html
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

as I could not immediately reproduce the issue on our testsystems. I have forwarded this for investigation.

Regards,
    Marco
  • maverikmaverik Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
    HI, Marco! Sorry for the late reply. I figured out that it was indeed a Java version issue. Although Java update indicated that I was updating for version 7, the version installed was version 6. Manually updating Java fixed the problem.
  • motinmotin Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    I experienced the same issue, even though "java -version" reported that I had a very recent Java 7 version.
    Turned out to be something fishy with the Java installation.
    This fixed it:

export JAVA_HOME="/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home"

Then change the RapidMinerGUI script as per https://github.com/rapidminer/rapidminer/pull/1
  • motinmotin Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    I experienced the same issue, even though "java -version" reported that I had a very recent Java 7 version.
    Turned out to be something fishy with the Java installation.
    This fixed it:

export JAVA_HOME="/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home"

Then change the RapidMinerGUI script as per https://github.com/rapidminer/rapidminer/pull/1
    Hi,

thank you for your feedback! We are currently reworking the Mac version to fix this and other issues.

Regards,
    Marco
    Hi,

is this still an issue with the OS X version of Studio 6.4?

Regards,
    Marco