installing jdbc FileMaker driver on RapidMiner

Legacy UserLegacy User Member Posts: 0 Newbie
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello.  I am trying to install the jdbc FileMaker driver so that RapidMiner can open a database.  I got it to list in Database Drivers but there is a red X on the right - cannot connect.  I put the driver in both the java library folder, and in the rapid miner jdbc library folder (just in case?), and tried to modify the jdbcproperties.xml file.  No avail.  Anyone able to help me?

Oh - and for some reason there are two other jdbc filemaker drivers in the list that are active, both titled "Unknown", but cannot seem to get them to show up in the menus to add a database!!  I will add screenshot urls in a moment.

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

you don't need to manually edit the jdbc_properties.xml, you can (after you put the jar into the RapidMinerStudio/lib/jdbc folder) use the "Manage Database Drivers" dialog by clicking "Add" and selecting the jar file you placed in the jdbc folder and entering the correct settings for your DB. Afterwards you need to restart RM Studio and it should be available for use.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    Hi Marco -

Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately that's what I did before, and it adds the driver but cannot connect (hence red X?).  But I do get these two "Unknown" drivers...?  Anything else I can try?

Scott
    Hello Marco?  Anyone else?
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

sorry about the delay. The steps I described above have worked for me for adding other databases, for example I recently added Derby DB for some tests.
    What a quick Google search turned up was that Filemaker changed with version 11 and is not compatible with older drivers and vice versa. Could this be an issue (e.g. using settings for Filemaker 11 on an older driver, or the other way round)?

Regards,
    Marco
    Hello Marco -

An amazing tech support person at FileMaker solved my issue.  For future knowledge to all, the key piece is to put the fmjdbc.jar file in the following folder:

HD -> Library -> Java -> JavaVirtualMachines -> jdk1.7.0_51.jdk -> Contents -> Home -> bin

NOT in the Applications -> RapidMiner -> lib -> jdbc folder.

You also need to follow the instructions on installing FMP13 drivers via this document (https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fm13_odbc_jdbc_guide.pdf), and ensure that you have the Java 7 SDK installed (as per other people's notes in this forum).

After you do this, you add a FileMaker driver in RM with the following settings:

Name: FileMaker
    URL prefix: jdbc:filemaker://127.0.0.1/
    Port: 2399
    Schema operator: /
    jar file: (navigate to location mentioned earlier)
    Driver class: com.filemaker.jdbc.Driver

Click Save, then restart RM, then check "Manage Database Drivers" to ensure that there is a green checkmark.  Now you can open a database connection with FileMaker and off you go.

Kudos to the FileMaker tech support team for going the extra mile on this one.

Scott