Options

Infrastructure/System Architecture of Rapid Miner

sanjdharsanjdhar Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi

A total noob to Rapid Miner. We are designing the Infrastructure Architecture for Rapid Miner at our organisation and would like to understand the following:

1. Can we use both Rapid Miner Studio and a Web browser to access the Rapid Miner Server (We will have Professional license)
2. If accessible from the browser, does Rapid Miner Server come with its own Web Server, or do we need to install apache/iis on the same server?
3. If we use Rapid Miner Studio Client to access the Rapid Miner Server, what are the port numbers needed?

I have gone through the books (unless I have missed something) and there is no information on system requirements, i.e. recommended & supported O/S, DBs etc etc

Any help is much appreciated or if someone could point me to the right links/docs that would be great.

Thanks

Answers

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

1) Yes, you can do so.
    2) RapidMiner Server is based on a JBoss Application Server. That means that the webpages RM Server offers can be accessed via the browser as with any webserver, however it also handles business logic which is used by both RM Studio and the webpages. What you cannot do on RM Server is to easily add your own webpages to it, you'd need a webserver for that.
    3) You can specify the port number used by RM Server during installation. Default one is 8080 for HTTP, but that can be customised. After installation, you can customize port numbers in the RM_Server/standalone/configuration/standalone.xml file.

There is a document available that lists Installation Requirements and Recomendations. However it is not yet linked on the website. I have just inquired about it and have been told it will be available within the next few days. If you need it urgently, you can contact me via forum PM and leave your email for me to send it to you.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    sanjdharsanjdhar Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Hi Marco

Thank you so much for your prompt response. It is hugely appreciated. 8)
    You stated that the port number is 8080, does this apply to Studio Client? as well as the browser?
    Yes, we would need this urgently as we will shortly start design and implementation. I am not sure how I contact you via the forum PM.
    My email address is [removed] if this helps

Many Thanks again
    sanjdhar

Edit: removed email
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

yes, both use the same port. In RM Studio you can for example define a Remote Repository and as the URL you'd specify something like this:

http://localhost:8080/
    where localhost is the IP/hostname of the server and 8080 is the port you configured during/after RM Server installation. To connect to the server via the browser, you'd use the same URL, you will be redirected to the actual login page for RM Server automatically.

I have sent you an email with the document attached.

Regards,
    Marco