adjusting font size

deacondeacon Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
I’m using rapid miner in an advanced undergraduate course this fall – I’ve been working my way through each of the elements and all is going well so far EXCEPT I can’t figure out how to enlarge the fonts – currently quite small and difficult to read even when projected – any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Answers

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hello,

which fonts do you mean? The ones used in the user interface (GUI) or fonts from the results like those used in reported plots etc.?

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • KwanKwan Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    Hi,

I have the same problem with the small font size in the GUI, is there anyway I can change it?

Currently running on Windows 7

Thanks in advance.

-k
  • IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

I am sorry but there is currently no option for changing the font size in the graphical user interface.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • johnlennyjohnlenny Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Hi Ingo ,

Is this something that can be modified in future releases? 

John
    Hi John,

I am actually not sure how easy it would be to replace the used fonts in the GUI in general, I am at least aware of several places where a hard coded font is used. But we can check if this is possible and of course we are always open for customization projects...  ;)

May I ask if you could send us a screenshot showing the small fonts, i.e. where they occur together with a description of your monitor (resolution and diagonal size)? This would certainly help to identify the problem areas and maybe there is even a simple workaround possible.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • krnu2kkrnu2k Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Hello,
        I am very new to RapidMiner was about to run through the "Data Mining for the masses" examples but unfortunately I have the same problem as others have reported in this thread: Extremely small almost unreadable text in the GUI.  I realise that this thread is a few years old now, however I could not find and option in the menu or mention in the manual about changing GUI font size.  Is it possible (via a plugin perhaps)?

Any help much appreciated thank you,

Keith.

P.S. I am on Windows 7 and have set my system font to large - but it appears to only affect the title of the RapidMinder program, not the actual GUI text.
  • JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    One way to do it is to use zooming. 
    Ideally, in the future, built into RapidMiner with a really cool implementation, but until then you can use the basic windows tool. 
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <process version="5.3.012">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="5.0.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
        <process expanded="true">
          <operator activated="true" class="execute_program" compatibility="5.0.000" expanded="true" height="94" name="Execute Program" width="90" x="112" y="120">
            <parameter key="command" value="cmd /c start magnify"/>
          </operator>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>
  • krnu2kkrnu2k Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Thanks for the stop-gap tip JEdward, I may try it although in general the tiny unreadable font problem is a bit of a show-stopper for me. 

I am surprised this is an issue in Rapidminer as I would have thought a non-insignificant portion of people doing data mining would also have large non standard monitor setups for data display/also find the default font unacceptable.

Is there a public roadmap/todo list for Rapidminer (google did not turn up anything)?  Would prefer not to invest time learning to use it if this problem is not due to be addressed anytime soon.
  • jimkitzjimkitz Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

@deacon wrote:
    I’m using rapid miner in an advanced undergraduate course this fall – I’ve been working my way through each of the elements and all is going well so far EXCEPT I can’t figure out how to enlarge the fonts – currently quite small and difficult to read even when projected – any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

This is a huge issue for me too. I abandoned Weka because of the tiny font size. I know of a Mac owner who had no problem with Weka.

I'm a Windows 10 user. I got a sore neck on the first RapidMiner tutorial.

I had planned to launch my Data Science career with RapidMiner. I had planned to created dozens of videos.

Somehow RapidMiner staff can make videos with legible fonts. How do they do that?

Is there some sort of work-around?

I believe that the tiny font size is costing RapidMiner a lot of money.

Here's hoping.

Thank you,

Jim Kitzmiller

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn
  • ngeorgengeorge Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    edited December 2018

The answer is you have to download another software (Resource Tuner), then edit the manifest file of C:\Program Files\RapidMiner\RapidMiner Studio\jre\bin\javaw.exe, changing <dpiAware>true</dpiAware> to <dpiAware>false</dpiAware>.  Stack overflow on it here.

• sandeep_chittasandeep_chitta Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

Saved my day man!

Good link, solved the small fonts issue!