Version 7.5.3 Update Issues...

M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Help

Colleagues:

Just updated to RM Studio 7.5.3 (from 7.5.1) and see that there is an issue with the Tableau Table Writer (writes Tableau Extracts) - it no longer shows up in my extensions and processes that use this operator have a red square on the canvas where the operator used to be - and all inputs and output connections to this operator no longer exist.  Tried installing the extension multiple times from the Marketplace, all seems to proceed fine, but when RM Studio re-starts post the install, the Tableau Table Writer extension is not in my list of extensions.  The path to the Tableau extract API is still in my environment variables as it should be, the Tableau Extract is still installed where originally installed.

I went to https://docs.rapidminer.com/studio/how-to/data-export/tableau.html and clicked on the "Install Table Writer in Studio" button and received a message saying that this operator is already installed and up to date.  Looks like some sort of configuration metadata issue perhaps?  Perhaps I need to manually update a RM Studio configuration file?

Attached to this post are 3 screen shots - two views of my "Extensions" directory and a list of installed extensions (from "Manage Extensions" menu option).  

Is the Tableau Table Writer extension compatible with RM Studio 7.5.3?  If not, is there a way I can revert to 7.5.1 for the time being? I'd be grateful for any suggestions in resolving this issue.  Best wishes, Michael Martin

Best Answer

• M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

Hi Jan u. Edin:

Looks like all  is working again.  As suggested, I did a complete backup of the .Rapiminer sub-directory before doing the re-install.  After just re-installing RapidMiner Studio, all errors related to Operators other than the Tableau Table Writer went away. RM Studio still though the Tableau Table Writer Operator was already installed - so processes using that Operator were still broken. 

I then restored my backup of the .Rapidminer sub-directory.  I then searched the online Marketplace for the Tableau Table Writer Operator.  This time, RM indicated that it was not installed - a good sign in this case.  Went through the installation, re-started RM Studio and now the Tableau Table Writer Operator is found, and processes that use this operator are working as expected.

Lessons learned, and we can mark this as incident solved.  I will update RM Studio on my other Dev machine and see how it goes.  

Am I correct in ssuming that my instance of RM Server needs to be at the same version as RM Studio?  My RM Server version is still 7.5.1.  Are there any particular steps I need to follow to update Server?  Thanks in advance for any advice on re: updating RM Server.

And of course thanks for your helpful suggestions in resolving this RM Studio upgreade issue, and best wishes!  

Michael

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

The upgrade shouldn't delete your extension JAR files. Can you search your hard drive for it to make sure it's still somewhere.

Hallo Thomas:  Thanks for your reply.  I did find the Tableau Table Writer jar file within the .RapidMiner Folder under C:\Users\Michael\.RapidMiner\managed\ on my system along with some other extensions.  However, I still cannot find the Extension when I search Operators within the RapidMiner UI.  It's showing an intallation date of 30.6.2017 in C:\Users\Michael\.RapidMiner\managed\(last time I re-installed it as per my previous post).  The name of the .jar file is: rmx_tableau_table_writer-7.2.0.jar and the file size is 738 KB.

Thanks for any guidance you may be able to provide to resolve this.  As a last resort, is there a way I can revert to 7.5.1 for the time being? Best wishes, Michael

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder

Hi,

This kind of updates should actually not have this type of effect on extensions so I am note sure what happened here.  But before we dig deeper into the logs etc., let's try the following to see if this fixed your problem:

1. Open RapidMiner Studio
    2. Go into the menu "Extensions" and there into "Manage Extensions"
    3. Do you see the Tableau Extension there?
    4. If yes, please click on the red X to delete it.  Restart RapidMiner.  Afterwards, open the Marketplace dialog and re-install the extension from there.  I hope this will resolve this problem.
    5. If the extension is not in this list (which it should be since it is in your "managed" folder), delete the extension file (the ".jar") from the "managed" folder. Then open the file "extensions.xml" in the same folder with a text editor.  Remove the entry for the Tableau extension.  Restart RapidMiner.  Afterwards, open the Marketplace dialog and re-install the extension from there.  I hope this will resolve this problem.

If this does not resolve it, then we will need to bring in some of our devs and dig a bit deeper.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Ingo

Hallo Ingo:  

Thanks for your reply.  Tried you suggestions, problem remains.  Situation seems to be that particulars to the Tableau Table Writer extension are not making into the "extensions.xml" file during the normal install procedure.  The approproate jar file does get installed into the "managed" sub-directory - no issue there.  I am also getting messages about other extensions no longer being compatible with 7.5.3. Please see attached screen shots.

Since I have another RM Studio instance on another machine with the Tableau Table Writer extension installed, I manually edited the "extensions.xml" file to include the same extension metadata re: the Tableau Table Writer from my other installation and re-started RM - however, the problem persists - and the Tablerau Icon still doesn't appear on the start-up screen as RM Studio loads.

Also attached is a Word 2010 document that includes the revised and original versions. of "extensions.xml".

Perhaps I entered something incorrectly?

Thanks for any further guidance you can provide- and best wishes.

Michael

Tuesday

Further to this issue: I now I see that quite a few other processes (that do not use the extension operator that writes Tableau Extracts) within my Repository are no longer working.  The common theme of the error messages are that operators are missing in my RM Studio installation.

In the attached screen shots of error messages there are references that primarily seem to point to the "Execute Process" and "Cross Validation" operators.  Processes and Operators concerned with ETL type operations seem unaffected.  One of the error messages seems to indicate that the "Loop Files" operator cannot be found within my RM Studio installation.

I have another machine with 7.5.1 and many of the same processes, I have opened them and there are no problems with any of them under 7.5.1 so I am now switching to that machine for Dev work for the time being.

Thanks for any suggestions (should I uninstall and re-install 7.5.3?) and best wishes, Michael

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Is your 7.5.1 and new 7.5.3 sharing the same Studio liscenes?  Normally you should not see concurrency extension errors as this extension is baked into Studio and not downloadable. 

Is your 7.5.1 and new 7.5.3 sharing the same Studio liscenes?  Normally you should not see concurrency extension errors as this extension is baked into Studio and not downloadable. 

• jczogallajczogalla Employee, Member Posts: 144 RM Engineering

Hi Michael,

it seems there is a problem with the productivity and concurrency extensions in your installation. Could you please show me the log file? .RapidMiner/rapdiminer-studio.log should be the log of the last run. Can you also tell me if you have multiple versions of the above extensions in your extensions or managed directories?

Cheers

Jan

Mittwoch

Hi Jan and Thomas:   Thanks for your messages - attached is a log file from this morning which shows the type of errors I am seeing.  

The sequence of events was as follows:

1. I had RM 7.5.1 on the Dev machine, all processes, operators, and installed extensions worked as expected.

2. I upgraded to 7.5.3 on the Dev machine.

3. I then opened a process that includes a Tableau Table Writer operator on that Dev machine, saw the beforementioned error.

4. Yesterday, I opened up other processes on that same Dev machine and saw other errors in processes that do not use the Tab leau TYable Writer operator.

I have not installed any new extensions on that Dev machine.  As per my previous posts, all I have done on that machine is re-install the Tableau Table Writer extension and add a reference to this extension in extensions.xml as a reference to the Tableau Table Writer extension (using parameters from the extensions.xml file on another Dev machine with this extension ionstalled)  was not added to extensions.xml on the Dev machine in question during the most recent attempt to re-install the Tableau Table Writer extension.

The only difference in the configuration of my RM installation on the "problem Dev machine" is that I upgraded from 7.5.1 to 7.5.3.  The issues started occurring immedaitely after the upgrade.  

I have most of the processes and the same extensions on another machine running 7.5.1 and all continues to work as expected.

The attached log does refer to some duplicate extensions being found.

Any other suggestions welcome and best wishes,   Michael

• jczogallajczogalla Employee, Member Posts: 144 RM Engineering

Hi Michael!

It seems there was a problem during the update. The log file shows that you have the correct versions of the plugins, but RapidMiner itself seems to think it is still version 7.5.1. I would suggest to reinstall RapidMiner on that machine. That should fix the problem. I'm sorry for that inconvenience.

Cheers

Jan

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Hi Michael,

in order to keep your configurations (Repository connections and the like) I suggest to make a backup of your .RapidMiner folder beforehand.

If everything works as expected you may copy the content back to that folder.

Best,

Edin