Retrieve and load Excel binary (XLSB) file

mas077mas077 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited December 2018 in Help

I have a million-plus row Excel Binary (XLSB) file just under 100 MB that I am trying to add to the repository and then retrieve/load into my process as an example set. 

Unfortunately... I can't get it to work.

If I convert the file to XLSX (Excel XML) file, it works fine, but the file size is larger (~300 MB). I am writing an Excel file at the end of my process, so I need to open that up and convert back to XLSB anyway but I was just curious what I should be doing to retrieve this binary file. 

Is the XLSB file format not fully supported?

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

It is my understanding that XLSB is not supported in RapidMiner Studio. 

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hello @mas077 - yes XLSB is not supported directly as @Thomas_Ott said.  When I have these issues, I usually send it to a REST API document converter.  My usual go-to converters, Zamzar and Convertio.co, don't do XLSB.  However a quick google search revealed several others that seem like they will do the job, like this one: http://www.filezigzag.com/api

Scott

• mas077mas077 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Thanks! There’s technically nothing wrong with me using an XLSX file and anyone can easily convert XLSB to XLSX within Excel 2013 and higher.

But, if an excel file is going to be my example set, it likely has several hundred thousand rows. If so, XLSB is the best way to store the data since it’s typically 40-50% smaller than the same data saved as XLSX.

I’m brand new to this so I don’t know how often people are using Excel as a data source, but I would love to see XLSB as a fully supported data source some day.

Thanks!
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

sure.  You are welcome to repost in the Ideas -> Product Ideas forum.

Scott