Results Pane Suddenly Shows No Information...

M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Product Feedback - Resolved

Monday

Hi Colleagues:

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I encountered a very strange problem in RapidMiner Studio that affects on of the dev machines in my infrastructure .  After converting values in a particular data column from float to polynomial using the "Numeric to Polynimial" operator within a process, any processes I run on this machine shows nothing in the results pane excepting information as to when the process started running.

I opened older processes on the machine, they run correctly, but nothing shows in the "Results" pane after running these processes.  

I get this problem in RapidMiner Studio 8.01 and in the beta of 8.1 on this machine.  

Other machines in my dev environment display information in the results pane as per normal from older or new processes.

The attached screen shot shows what I see in the results pane on the affected dev machine, no matter what process I run (pre-existing or new).

Below is a process that loads a few data sets from the repository.  When I run this process on the affected machine, all I see in the results pane is what appears in the attached screenshot.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="8.1.000-RC">
<context>
<input/>
<output/>
<macros/>
</context>
<operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="8.1.000-RC" expanded="true" name="Process">
<process expanded="true">
<operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="8.1.000-RC" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Golf" width="90" x="97" y="97">
<parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Golf"/>
</operator>
<operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="8.1.000-RC" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Sonar" width="90" x="95" y="238">
<parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Sonar"/>
</operator>
<operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="8.1.000-RC" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Titanic" width="90" x="105" y="397">
<parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Titanic"/>
</operator>
<connect from_op="Retrieve Golf" from_port="output" to_port="result 1"/>
<connect from_op="Retrieve Sonar" from_port="output" to_port="result 2"/>
<connect from_op="Retrieve Titanic" from_port="output" to_port="result 3"/>
<portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_result 3" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_result 4" spacing="0"/>
</process>
</operator>
</process>

I checked the Settings, thinking that perhaps some setting affecting the display of results could have somehow been changed - but couldn't find any parameter related to displaying information in the Results pane.

Thanks for considering this issue, and also my thanks for any and all advice that could point me in the right direction rowards getting the Results pane to to display information from processes once again on this machine.

Best wishes,

Michael Martin

Tagged:
0 votes

Fixed and Released · Last Updated

Comments

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

GO to View > Restore Default Views

• M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn

Monday

Hallo Thomas:  Thanks for your email - I tried your suggestion but still get an empty results pane in 8.01 and in the 8.1 RM Studio beta when I run a process.

Any other suggestions?

Best wishes,

Michael

• jczogallajczogalla Employee, Member Posts: 144 RM Engineering

Hi Michael,

what happens when you try to open the "Result History Panel" via View -> Show Panel if that is possible? Can you maybe share your log file?

Cheers,

Jan

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi @M_Martin - could you also share the hardware and OS setup?

Pushing this thread to Product Feedback.

Scott

Good morning, Scott:

Sure: Windows 7 running Bootcamp on an iMac with SP1 and 32 gb RAM and 4GB video RAM.  The issue occured from one moment to the next after converting a column with a float data type to a polynomial data type in a process.

I have RM Studio 8.01 and the 8.1 beta on this machine - both versions are affected, which leads me to think some configuration setting in the repository may be the cause.

Thanks for considering this, and best wishes,

Michael

Problem Solved!  

I switched to the "Results Pane" - for some reason the "Macro" pane was diaplayed (as per my earlier screen shots).  I then selected "View - > Restore Default View" and the "Result History" pane docked itself within the "Results Pane" parent frame.

I am guessing that somehow, the "Result History" pane got undocked from the "Results Pane". 

My first attempt to reset to the "Default View" was done from within the context of being in the parent "Design View".

If this ever happens to anyone else, the steps to solve it look to be: 

1. Switch to the parent "Results View"

2. Select View - > Restore Default View

Problem is now solved in RM Studio 8.01 and RM Studio beta 8.1.

Best wishes,  Michael

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

got it. I thought that GUI looked a bit dated. :) I was just wondering if it was related to the Mac OS High Sierra issue but clearly not. Thanks for reporting.

Jan: Thanks for your suggestion, which ultimately led to me figuring out what had happened.  Thank you, Scott for following this as well.

Michael ;-)