No job agent connected, Rapidminer Server 8.1 on Azure image, Linux

MikeLeeMikeLee Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited July 2020 in Help

Hello community, 

I am a beginner for Rapidminer Server. I thought using the Rapidminer Server image would be easier to quickly jump start. So I registered an account on Azure, created a virtual machine using Rapidminer Server 8.1 image. Everything seemed to be working. I can login using the web interface. I can upload processes to the server. However, I had the following problem...

I created a very simply decision tree model using the sample dataset built in Rapidminer Studio. I uploaded the process to the server without any problem. However, the process never run on the server.  It says the processes are en-queued. I run the process multiple times. But they all in the pending status. On the Queues page, all the jobs were in the pending. And it required me to install Job Agent. Please see the screen shot.  I tried to follow the link on the screen ("Find out more about how to install and connect a Job Agent here.") and read the documentation. However, the instructions are for some operations on the server side. Azure gives very limited access to the Linux server, very difficult to set up the remote desktop. I tried to use Putty to access to the Azure virtual machine. I am not familiar with Linux. So I decided to ask you folks first, and see if I am in the correct direction.

My specific question is 1) Has anyone had this issue before on Azure Rapidminer Server image? 2) Is the process not running problem because of the job agent not installed? 3) Is there an easy way to fix this issue? 4) Is the job agent thing something new only for Rapidminer Server 8.0 and later versions?

Thank you in advance!       

Mike

Answers

• curious95curious95 Member Posts: 12 Contributor II

@MikeLee 

1) Has anyone had this issue before on Azure Rapidminer Server image?

Try Starting job-agent from Job Agent folder manually which is present inside RapidMiner Server folder and see if it works.

2) Is the process not running problem because of the job agent not installed?

By default a default job-agent is present and it should start automatically when the server starts.

3) Is there an easy way to fix this issue?

Yes, first you need to give the error logs from console

4) Is the job agent thing something new only for Rapidminer Server 8.0 and later versions?

Yes

• MikeLeeMikeLee Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

Dear kamalp_aptus,

Thank you so much for your quick and informative response! I will try it and see if it works for me. 

MikeLee 

• ricky_dcruzericky_dcruze Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

Hi @curious95

I have tried your instruction of running the job manually in my Azure linux VM.

Like this: ./rapidminer-jobagent (inside /bin folder)

But i have this error:

ERROR 3016 --- [           main] o.s.boot.SpringApplication               : Application startup failed

Do you for the job agent was not installed i am having this problem of pending process?

pendingProcess.png

Thanks

Ricky

• Pavithra_RaoPavithra_Rao Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 123 RM Data Scientist

Hi @ricky_dcruze

Please share the relevant log files here.

Following article should help you find the location for the same.

Where to find the log file of a Job Agent

Cheers,

Hi @Pavithra_Rao

I am in linuxVM in azure. ANd i don't see any log folder under /rapidminer/rapidminer-jobagent

Job agent is not installed yet, so will there be any log for job agent?

rmfolderinAzure.png 

Thanks for your help in advance.

BR

Ricky

• Pavithra_RaoPavithra_Rao Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 123 RM Data Scientist

Hi @ricky_dcruze

What was the job agent number you had selected while installing the server?

If 0 then there would not be any default job agent starting with the start of the server.

So please review the following documentation pages to install a job-agent:

https://docs.rapidminer.com/latest/server/installation/

https://docs.rapidminer.com/latest/server/installation/job-agents.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Thanks @Pavithra_Rao for your message. But I have installed RM server 8.1 from Azure image in Linux VM.

https://docs.rapidminer.com/latest/server/installation/cloud_images.html

Also i wrote here in this thread, i have problem with starting Job agents.

But if it is one click installation using RM image in Azure, why should be be like that we have to fix problems? PLease check with appropriate person in the team.

Have a great day :)

• jpuentejpuente Employee, Member Posts: 53 RM Product Management

Hi,

The VM image has a default agent installed. However, for it to detect the license that you paste the first time you log in, you need to restart the image. After restarting, you can log in again and go to Processes->Queues and check whether there is a job-agent connected to the default queue. Let me know if that works.

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Hi @ricky_dcruze,

The problem you described is indeed because the Default JobAgent is not running.

Since you have the JobAgent directory you also have the JobAgent installed.

Usually the default JobAgent is set for startup together with RapidMiner Server. You can cross check if this is true in the file standalone.conf of the <rapidminer-server-installation-folder>\bin\ folder. At the bottom of the file there is the following entry:

# Set to true to enable the bundled Job Agent
    JOB_AGENT_ENABLED=true

You wrote:

Like this: ./rapidminer-jobagent (inside /bin folder)
    But i have this error:
    ERROR 3016 --- [ main] o.s.boot.SpringApplication : Application startup failed

Is this the only error you receive or is there more?

Happy mining,

Edin

By the way: The log folder of a JobAgent should be created at the first startup of the JobAgent.