on Server - "Send test email" works; using Send Mail operator does not

jsmithjsmith Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited December 2018 in Product Feedback - Resolved

Using RM Server 8. When I send a test email in System Settings, it works fine. When I use the Send Mail operator in a process run on the server, it does not work.

I added com.rapidanalytics.mail.jndi_name = java:/Mail to the config files under job-agent (and job-agent sub folders) to see if that would work - even though it's redundant - but nothing. Also, if I run the process in RM Studio on same machine (with same settings that were used in RM Server setup), it works.

Log is attached.

Please advise. Thanks.

Tagged:
2 votes

Fixed and Released · Last Updated

9.4.1 PROD-365

Comments

• SGolbertSGolbert RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 344 Unicorn

Hi,

I've been able to reproduce your problem. I can confirm that this problem wasn't present in Server 7.6.

We are working on a solution.

Thank you for your post!

• jwpfaujwpfau Employee, Member Posts: 274 RM Engineering

As a workaround:

• copy your local /home/username/.RapidMiner/cipher.key file into the RapidMiner Server/job-agent/config/container/.RapidMiner folder
    • copy the following lines from the /home/username/.RapidMiner/rapidminer-studio-settings.cfg to the RapidMiner Server/job-agent/config/container/container.properties file:
      • rapidminer.tools.mail.sender
      • rapidminer.tools.smtp.user
      • rapidminer.tools.smtp.passwd
      • rapidminer.tools.smtp.host
      • rapidminer.tools.smtp.port
      • rapidminer.tools.smtp.security
      • rapidminer.tools.smtp.authentication
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

moving to Product Feedback.

Scott

• RayJhongRayJhong RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 11 Contributor II

I encountering the same issue, seems like RM8 server can't apply the smtp host & port in /standalone/configuration/standalone.xml. So using the default smtp host & port as localhost & 25 alternatively.

<outbound-socket-binding name="mail-smtp">
    <remote-destination host="smtp.office365.com" port="587"/>
    </outbound-socket-binding>

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 11.36.17 AM.png

It's a frequent used operator for us in production env, plz fix it.

Sincerely,

Ray Jhong

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

reported to dev team - will update when addressed.

SG

• jose_mejiasjose_mejias Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

any updates.  Having the same issue

hello - status is that it's still in the JIRA queue with the dev team. "Upvoting" here on this forum will definitely send signals about prioritization.

Scott

• AndrewB1AndrewB1 Member Posts: 3 Contributor I

The "work around" works well for us.   If you take the settings that used to go into standalone.conf and place them into each job agents container.properties   as 

rapidminer.tools.smtp.host = somehost.com

rapidminer.tools.smtp.port = 25

The send mail should work just fine from server and will not use localhost.