Wisdom 2018 ideas

sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
edited December 2018 in Help

hi all - I'm kicking around this idea of having a part of Wisdom 2018 be a "developer" focus where we sit down together and really work on helping people write extensions + get them up on the marketplace. Any thoughts? cc @Thomas_Ott @Telcontar120 @lionelderkrikor @land @SamirSahooAptus @RaviSwamyAptus @curious95 @kayman @kypexin @SvenVanPoucke 

Tagged:

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
  • Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

@sgenzer I have a ton of ideas for extensions but I'm not a java developer. If someone wants to partner up with me, we can start cranking out extensions. 

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

I am pretty much in the same boat as @Thomas_Ott  :-)

No java development skills here!

But I am happy to attend a workshop / panel / forum to discuss extensions and the marketplace and help developers work on things like functionality and UI for RapidMiner users.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi @Telcontar120 @Thomas_Ott yeah my Java skills are pretty awful myself. But if we can get some RapidMiner engineers in the room and form some teams, would that work? Could be a lot of fun...

Scott

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

@sgenzer well where is wisdom going to be?

I can tell you in 18 min :) https://rapidminer.com/wisdom/

• kypexinkypexin Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 291 Unicorn

Hi guys,

Sounds pretty interesting. 

In case there could be engineer resourse available, I would gladly participate in such a teamwork session, this could be especially interesting also from a product perspective: not to understand how to create extensions from a technical point of view but rather how to understand the need for new tools and what features would make a good extension

• kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn

Same for me, I can read and understand some Java thanks to my C# background, but writing extentions is a bit more challenging. Tried it once but it's still in embryo stage. But if you want ideas I can provide a nice list, that should be no issue at all...

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn

Hi,

I probably have a very unique perspective on that topic as I'm not only an experienced Java Programmer and have written dozens of RM operators, but I'm also working in a company that sells the service to write custom RM Extensions. On the other hand I'm a very experienced RM user myself, delivering many consulting projects.
    From my perspective it makes definitively sense to talk about development and extensions and features, but I think it would make more sense to open a room for the community to exchange freely among each other: What kind of problems do we have, what solutions have been developed in the community to cope with common problems, what is already there in terms of extensions...

And that requires some time, I guess. If you only let me talk about best practices, our extensions, problems, etc and don't stop me, I could talk for a day or so :)

At the very first RapidMiner Community Meetings we had some days before the conference for training courses. May be the "learning how to write extensions" would make sense as a training course, where only these will participate who are actually interested in doing so. I think the target audience is much smaller than with the more generic topic above.

Greetings,
    Sebastian

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Hello,

My Java skills are quite bad. However, there are a couple things a seasoned (12+ years) Ruby developer can help with, and one of these is command-line-driven code generators. If anyone can point me to a super simple "Hello, World!" extension example, I can write a Maven Archetype for it (https://maven.apache.org/) and make it available for everyone as a starting point.

That way, if there is anyone needing to write an extension, they just need the $JAVA_HOME environment variable correctly set (%JAVA_HOME% if in Windows), uncompress Maven, add it to the $PATH (or %PATH%, again for Microsoft users), and execute something like...

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeArtifactId=rapidminer-extension-quickstart.

Let me know first if such a task is feasible and if anyone is interested in helping with it.

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Hi @rfuentealba,

did you see this: https://docs.rapidminer.com/latest/developers/ ? it's more or less what you propose.

Best,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Hello @mschmitz!

Wow, no, I wasn't aware of that. I read a lot about extensions lately and visited that page a few times, but thought of Gradle about a Makefile-on-steroids, not as a starting point for a project. Great then! and thank you for the suggestion!

All the best,

Rodrigo.