Google Cloud Speech API

SHSguySHSguy Member Posts: 24 Contributor I
edited December 2018 in Help

Hi, 

Was wondering if anyone knew the process required to get an output from the Google Cloud Speech API? 

Yes, before anyone asks I did get the required Google API key which has been omitted for the obvious reasons :) 

From the tutorial, it indicates that you need the Google Speech operator which then should provide an example output (Data Table).

It runs, the operator receives a green check mark but produces no output.  

Tried:

Various audio input formats (mp3,mp4,flac)

Various audio output formats (mp3,mp4,flac)

Appreciate any assistance on the matter. 

<macros/>
</context>
<operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="8.2.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
<process expanded="true">
<operator activated="true" class="google_cloud_platform:cloud_speech" compatibility="1.1.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Google Cloud Speech API" width="90" x="313" y="238">
<parameter key="API key" value="OMITTED"/>
<parameter key="audio file" value="/Users/Nick/Desktop/Brad_interview_20181605.flac"/>
<parameter key="sample rate (Hz)" value="18000"/>
<parameter key="language code" value="en-US"/>
</operator>
<connect from_op="Google Cloud Speech API" from_port="example set" to_port="result 1"/>
<portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
</process>
</operator>
</process>

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 1.43.43 pm.png

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi @SHSguy so the Cloud Speech API operator should return an output if you have a valid audio file and parameters. Try this with your API key:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="8.2.000">
    <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="8.2.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <operator activated="true" class="api_toolbox:cloud_speech" compatibility="1.1.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Google Cloud Speech API" width="90" x="45" y="34">
    <parameter key="API key" value=""/>
    <parameter key="request type" value="remote"/>
    <parameter key="Cloud Storage Bucket URI" value="gs://speech-demo/shwazil_hoful.flac"/>
    <parameter key="sample rate (Hz)" value="16000"/>
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Google Cloud Speech API" from_port="example set" to_port="result 1"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>

You should get this:

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 11.40.25 AM.png

Scott

• SHSguySHSguy Member Posts: 24 Contributor I

Hi Scott, 

Thank you for the reply. 

I have tried that process, only replacing the Google Speech API key, and it seems to do something. However, instead of a result it changes the XML code you provided to: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="8.2.000">
    <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="dummy" compatibility="8.2.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Google Cloud Speech API" width="90" x="45" y="34"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>

While the Process page adds a red process box, title Google Cloud Speech (please see below). It then indicates that I should download an extension from the market. It opens the market and then returns with an error stating the extension is not available. 

Cheers,

Nicolas 

Capture.JPG

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Hi @SHSguy,

were did you get the operator from in first place?

We are at the moment in the process of adding capabilities to an extension to connect to cloud services. Scott used an unreleased beta of this, which gives the option to connect to google Speech. Since you do not have this, you get the red operators.

Best,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • SHSguySHSguy Member Posts: 24 Contributor I

Hi Martin, 

It was the in Market Space, unfortunately, my incredibly limited coding expertise (hacking) did not lead me to find it on the deep servers of RapidMiner :) 

Cheers,

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

yes that is indeed on the marketplace (see https://marketplace.rapidminer.com/UpdateServer/faces/product_details.xhtml?productId=rmx_google_cloud_platform - been released since last fall). 

Scott

• bkingbking Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

Hi Scott...

I am receiving a similar "non" result in that the google cloud speech api operator appears to run (no complaints) but does not return an example. I confirmed that the .wav file has audible speech.

XML Below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="9.0.002">
    <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="9.0.002" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <operator activated="true" class="google_cloud_platform:cloud_speech" compatibility="1.1.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Google Cloud Speech API" width="90" x="112" y="34">
    <parameter key="API key" value=""/>
    <parameter key="audio file" value="C:\Users\PR4756082944-20180924-5044029957.wav"/>
    <parameter key="sample rate (Hz)" value="16000"/>
    </operator>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>

Thoughts?...

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Hi @bking,

can you check your rapidminer-studio.log? Sometimes there are errors which are only visible in this file and are not propagated to these "speech bubbles".

BR,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany

hi @bking I'm out of the office most of this week - please ping me again at the end of the week if you're still having trouble.

thx @mschmitz for chiming in.

Scott

• bkingbking Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

Hi Martin...

Thank you for replying...below is the output from the log file.

-------------

Sep 25, 2018 4:45:41 PM com.rapidminer.Process execute
    INFO: Process //Voice_Analysis_from_TCN_Campaign starts
    Sep 25, 2018 4:45:59 PM com.rapidminer.Process saveResults
    INFO: Saving results.
    Sep 25, 2018 4:45:59 PM com.rapidminer.Process execute
    INFO: Process //Voice_Analysis_from_TCN_Campaign finished successfully after 18 s

-----------

Thoughts?

BK

• jim_nicholasjim_nicholas Member Posts: 1 Learner I
    Hi, I know it's been a while since this was posted, however I'm wondering what the outcome was here as I'm having the same issue. On my Google Console I can see that the requests are running successfully without errors. Looking at the log file I've seen this "No filename given for result file, using stdout for logging results!". Just wondering, is it just a matter of where the results are being saved? I haven't been able to find them yet! 

Any help would be amazing, since I'm assuming you were able to sort it.

Thanks