"How do I start RapidMiner Studio without GUI in command line mode"

User13User13 Member Posts: 155 Maven
edited May 2019 in Knowledge Base

RapidMiner Studio comes with a command line version which can be used to execute processes from the command line or from batch files (Windows). To do so, you need to have saved a working RapidMiner process in your repository. You can then open the command line, navigate to your RapidMiner Studio installation folder, and go to the scripts subfolder. Call the rapidminer-batch.bat / rapidminer-batch.sh file (.bat on Windows, otherwise .sh) and pass the absolute repository location of your process as an argument. See the following example to execute the process called “Testprocess” in the default “Local Repository” on Windows:

Rapidminer-batch.bat "//Local Repository/Testprocess"

Using Store and Retrieve operators inside such a process provides a good basis for automation of process execution. For further automation and much greater flexibility, the usage of RapidMiner Server is necessary.

Comments

• David_ADavid_A Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 297 RM Research

Under Linux it is the same with "rapidminer-batch.sh".

It is also possible to declare and set macros when invoking the process, the syntax is -MmacroName=$macrovalue, this can also be used multiple times, like this:

sh rapidminer-batch.sh "//Local\ Repository/TestProcess" -Mmacro1=macroValue1 -Mmacro2=macroValue2
  • SGolbertSGolbert RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 344 Unicorn

Is there any way to have Studio running on the background, so that it doesn't have to be started up every time a process is executed from the command line?

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

@SGolbert that's what JobAgents are doing in a server setup. I think you can also POST your processes there via REST. But this is of course another licensing.

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany

Hi Martin,

there are some use cases that need to have a lightweight process in a machine without internet, for a example a computer used to monitor an industrial process. In that case having RM Server + a DBMS may be overkill.

I've been asked if the RM process can be packed in a .jar file, but I want to consider a healthier alternative.

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Hi @SGolbert,

Job Agents run without a server you don't need it afaik.

Also, the scenario you mention is exactly the scenario we envisioned with the real time scoring agent. First test showed that it also runs on a Pi.

Best,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany

The scoring agent looks like a good solution, however I couldn't find a license (I have sent a message to ask for one).

It would be great if a repository folder from Studio could be zipped and deployed!