Comment field in Macro Operators to made processes more readable in teams

uenge-sanuenge-san Member Posts: 12 Contributor II
edited December 2018 in Product Feedback - Resolved

The idea is, to have a comment field available in at least the Macro Operators to be able to write down the purpose of the current macro (in addition to the macro name and funtctions expressions field.

Especially on larger processes and on processes several colleagues are working on, this would really help to keep the processes and idea behinds readable.

Using the comment function of the operator itself leaves only a very limited space for comment and would probably lead to use several Macro Operator in a row only to post a comment...

comment rapidmienr.png

0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

no updates or votes in a year - please comment if still relevant

Comments

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Hi @uenge-san,

the component which is used here (ParameterTypeList) is used in many places of RapidMiner, not just Generate Macro. E.g. Neural net Layers are the same type. I guess you only want to have this for Generate Macro  and Generate Attributes, right?

BR,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • uenge-sanuenge-san Member Posts: 12 Contributor II

Hi @mschmitz,

I personally wouldn't mind to have the opportunity for comments also in other Operators (maybe to also document directly, which parameters were already used...). But of course, I don't really have the overview here.

Back to your question: in addition to the two operator you mentioned, I would also see it in Set Macro(s) for example.

BR,

Martin

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

You can of course attach a note to any operator and add as much explanatory text as you want.  Is there a reason that is not a sufficient solution here?  

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • uenge-sanuenge-san Member Posts: 12 Contributor II

Hi @Telcontar120

the reason is readability: of course I can attach a note to the operator, but when generating a bunch of macros in one Generate Macros operator, the note on the operator is not so useful

e.g.:

rm2.png

By the way: due to this discussion and writing this post, I solved an annoying issue with my process.  :smileywink: --> I already have my first benefits from...

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager