Web Service with authentification

SGolbertSGolbert RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 344 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Help

Hi RapidMiners!,

sorry for possibly repeating a topic, but I am trying to find documentation on how to do web services with authentification, but I haven't found anything on the forum or docs.

I already know how to make anonymous web services, what I want to do is have a web service accesible by username and password/token. Normally this goes in the header or the parameters of the GET request.

How do we do it in RapidMiner Server?

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

Tagged:

Answers

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn

Hi Sebastian,

non-anonymous web services use standard HTTP/HTTPS authentication. 

With curl, you just give the data in the URL: https://username:password@rmserver/service

Regards,

Balázs

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

so I think @SGolbert you're asking how to HOST a webservice on Server with authentication, correct? So out of the box I don't think Server does this. It's not that hard to build, however - just add parameters to the query that require username/pwd and check them against some internal ExampleSets. It's a hack but I've done it before.

I will say that an automated, true backend implementation of OAuth2 would be nice...I'd also just be happy with the Web Mining extension just handling OAuth2 from the user side. :)

Scott

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

I think I am confused by this thread now.  By default, exposing a web service from RapidMiner Server requires authentication by a registered Server user---you actually have to go through extra steps to allow the service to be accessed anonymously (which @SGolbert already knows).  But if you simply expose the service without the anonymous user settings, then it will require you to log in with a registered RapidMiner Server user in order to access the service.  In the browser that is done via a pop-up, but it sounds like you can force that to occur in the background via URL parameters that @BalazsBarany provided (although I have never actually done that myself).  

I do agree with @sgenzer that OAuth capabilities for the Web Mining package and for RapidMiner Server would be very nice!  But I don't think they are needed simply to require authentication for existing RapidMiner Server web services.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • SGolbertSGolbert RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 344 Unicorn

Hi everyone,

I was actually looking for what Balazs said, thank you! However I have now a bit of a headache for setting the permissions right. I want to share my service with another user but it looks as I have to give read or execute access rights to my whole directory tree!!

Do you know if execute access rights are enough or read is also needed?

Thanks!

Sebastian

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

Yes, you do need to give that user "Read" access to the entire path to the directory in which the process sits; they also need "Execute" rights to any process that you want them to run.  They shouldn't need "edit" access at all.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 

Also, you should not need to give them "Execute" rights to any other directories (incl parent directories) or any other independent processes.  Just execute rights for the one in question.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures