ubuntu 184

kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Help

Hi all, has anyone experience with installing studio 8.2 on the new 18.04 LTS?

I've installed on a brand new installation and there are some noticable problems that I never experienced up till now

First error is that I cannot connect to the marketplace and that I need to check my proxies or internet connections. Internet works fine and I have no proxies. The details show java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustanchors parameter must be non-empty

When I want to open my repositories (open in file browser) I get this message : Cannot launch file browser / the OS failed to open the folder in a file browser.

Any ideas ?

Best Answer

• kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

The good news is that I got the web running again, I removed all my Java and installed only the oracle 8.0 one and I was immediatly greeted by the warm 'How can we help you?' message when opening RMS. Also marketplace and web operators are back into the game now. Not sure whether the open versions would work also but I didn't want to take a risk.

So there is definitly a relation with the new way ubuntu deals with Java, plenty of thing to keeps the devs busy I guess.

The folder thing remains the same, not a big deal but it sure was handy to quickly move processes over a network (dev to production).

Answers

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Hello, sensei @kayman,

I know that Ubuntu 18.04 has switched its desktop environment from Unity to Gnome 3.28, which is pretty invasive. Narrowing the search, it worked flawlessly with 17.10 and 16.04, and I did run a RapidMiner Server 18.04, so the outlier here seems to be Gnome.

Can you open your home directory with the default file browser and tell us which one is included by default? I'm setting my Linux machine on fire firing up my Linux machine to see if I can come up with any ideas.

It's using Gnome indeed, everyting else seems fine except for input / output and web usage. Also the Get Page operators do not seem to work, using a python alternative it works fine.

Never had an issue with 16.04 either, but not sure what impact the desktop environment can have tbh.

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Hey @kayman.

You mentioned two things that made me think of Gnome. IIRC:

• Proxy usage.
    • Open in file browser.

On Windows and Mac, proxies are set up from within the operating system. Linux, however, is more like a chaotic amount of blocks that not always play nicely together and every distribution has their own ways to setup the proxy and their own ways to advertise it (in some less-known distributions it's so painful...). I could make RapidMiner work on Ubuntu by setting up no proxy at all following the instructions on the page:

https://www.serverlab.ca/tutorials/linux/administration-linux/how-to-configure-proxy-on-ubuntu-18-04/

I also went to RapidMiner Studio Preferences and configured No Proxy on my Linux machine, problem solved. (Curiously enough, both actions together worked for me while each one separately didn't...)

As for the file browser, with Windows it's a matter of opening explorer.exe C:\Users\user\.RapidMiner.... Same with Mac, thanks to the open file handler, but on Linux you have lots of stuff. However, with Ubuntu 18.04 it seems that they don't have a default file manager associated or the org.freedesktop service cannot report it accordingly, so there is no way that this piece of code can open files natively.

Bug? Definitely not on RapidMiner Studio. Solution? I don't know. Patch? I don't know. Feature? I think yes. It would be a good thing to let users configure the file manager to be used if RapidMiner Studio is running on a Linux machine. That sole feature would allow RapidMiner Studio work on machines that run non-standard desktop environments (e.g. CDE on Solaris, Enlightenment, WindowMaker, AfterStep, or something else on Linux).

All the best,

severe p.i.t.a for sure, bug or not...

My proxy settings were already disabled on both studio and machine so no luck here. The file issue is something I could live with but the unavailability of network access is a huge dealbreaker.

One thing I noticed compared to my 16.04 setup is that I have now 2 java version installed, 1.8 and 1.11, but the default is version 8 so that should be ok I guess? I could still try to get rid of the other one but not sure if that would impact something else on my system.

It would be a severe problem for us if Rapidminer would not be able to run properly on the new LTS, for now we can still keep using v16 but we can't keep doing that forever of course

I sense that we should need this conversation moved to the Developer forum.

Desktop integration is a PITA on Linux, as you said. I'm requesting a feature that might help us solve this one at least.

As for proxy... that's weird. Did you reboot your system after changing the environment variables on /etc/environment? If so, (I'm hesitant to suggest this after getting slapped with a large trout* by a crowd for suggesting Ruby for something, but...) any chance you can plug wireshark to your machine, so that we can debug connectivity? 

Now that you mention Java 10/11... They've made it "simpler" by removing many JEE classes and other features (also: they've shortened the Java development cycle. Clearly someone didn't want Java to be the new Perl, but they didn't care about the kidneys and livers of Java developers), so you can't run RapidMiner Server with Java 11 without pain, and I sense there will be a lot to be rewritten to make RapidMiner either future-proof or backwards-compatible.

Well, that said... if your default is Java 8, you're safe, as you said. What is your Java provider? Is it OpenJDK or Oracle?

Sensei @kayman: one more thing, what does this process print in your Log panel?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="9.0.000-BETA">
    <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="9.0.000-BETA" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true">
    <operator activated="true" class="productivity:execute_program" compatibility="9.0.000-BETA" expanded="true" height="103" name="Execute Program" width="90" x="112" y="34">
    <parameter key="command" value="java -version"/>
    <list key="env_variables"/>
    </operator>
    <operator activated="true" class="log" compatibility="9.0.000-BETA" expanded="true" height="82" name="Log" width="90" x="246" y="34">
    <list key="log"/>
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Execute Program" from_port="out" to_op="Log" to_port="through 1"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>

Mine says that I have Java 10 on RapidMiner Studio, on my Mac:

Jul 26, 2018 4:39:10 AM INFO: Execute Program: stderr: java version "10.0.2" 2018-07-17
    Jul 26, 2018 4:39:10 AM INFO: Execute Program: stderr: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13)
    Jul 26, 2018 4:39:10 AM INFO: Execute Program: stderr: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13, mixed mode)

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

@kayman you're way above my head here but just a friendly reminder that users with paid licenses have a customer success contact who sometimes has influence on roadmap improvements [wink, wink].

Scott

True, I always forget I have special priviliges :-)

Anyway, this way also non subscribed users can benifit from my trail and errors...

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

absolutely and greatly appreciated. Just wanted to remind :)

Thx.

Scott

• wongcrwongcr Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
    hi, the problem is because of the /etc/ssl/certs/java/cacerts file has outdated trust keys for SSL to rapidminer.com

Fix:
    choose the java8 JSK

&nbsp;sudo update-java-alternatives -l

you should see java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64  (plus others?). If no jdk8 then install openjdk-8-jdk
    Set the java version:

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-1.8.0.openjdk-amd64<br>

Fix certificate for JDK8

sudo rm&nbsp;/etc/ssl/certs/java/cacerts

then regenerate them:
    &nbsp; sudo update-ca-certificates -f&nbsp;