Options

"Generate Products" operator should generate only unique combinations of the attributes

yzanyzan Member Posts: 66 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Product Feedback - Resolved

Currently, when we pass a set {"att1", "att2", "att3"} as "attribute1" and {"att1", "att2", "att3"} as "attribute2" to "Generate Products" operator, we get a product between "att1" and "att2" twice. Once as "(att1) * (att2)" and once as "(att2) * (att1)". Since multiplication (for all numerical data types that RapidMiner supports) is commutative, it creates an annecessary redundancy.
Proposal: Generate only unique combinations of the attributes.
Workaround: Use "Remove Correlated Attributes" after "Generate Products".

0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Closing this idea - zero votes since Aug 2018. Please re-open if this is of interest.PROD-834

Comments

• Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

Wow...been using RapidMiner Studio for six years and never saw this operator before. :) Sure happy to open for voting.

• Options
    rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Hello @yzan,

Might I suggest a slight change? What you wrote here makes total sense, and I believe it should be the default: it shouldn't be expected to generate a cross join.

However, I found myself in more cases where I don't have to remove correlated attributes than the other way round, hence I think the way the product generation is executed should be configurable. (Besides, it reduces the impact in current models).