Using a License not bound to my account.

jannis_jungejannis_junge Member Posts: 1 Learner I
edited December 2018 in Help

I am currently trying to install rapidminer-server and for that purpose my colleague has given me the license key he obtained for that purpose.
Am I able to use this license to download rapidminer-server, or do I need to let him download the server?

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi @jannis_junge welcome to the community!  If I am not mistaken, anyone can download RapidMiner Server from their RapidMiner account. You can then use your colleague's license key as part of the installation process.

FWIW it may be a heck of a lot easier to just use the new AWS preconfigured servers. You can use the "BYOL" (bring your own license) version and be up and running in, oh, 5 minutes. :) And if you don't have a license, you can you the "PAYG" (pay as you go) version instead at $3.21/hour. There are similar setups on Azure as well. Pretty good deal. 

Scott

• SGolbertSGolbert RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 344 Unicorn

Hi @jannis_junge, @sgenzer,

I've had the same problem and it doesn't work like Scott said. In your case you have 3 options:

1. Your friend downloads the installer and sends it to you.

2. Your friend shares his RM account data, you login as your friend and download the installer.

3. You ask RM Support for a demo Server license (small). Then you will be able to download the installer and input your friend's license as text as part of the installation.

In my case I used option 3.

Regards,

Sebastian