confusion between my original account and my educational account

Gonfiaf_ZuraikGonfiaf_Zuraik Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
edited December 2018 in Help

Hello Guys! 

I have a RapidMiner account since 1 year (we had to use it during our Master studies for one data mining assignment we had) and I registered with my normal e-mail (not with my university email) but now, I am in the last part of my Master, where I need to write my Master Thesis, so my topic is related to Data Mining, and I will be using RapidMiner for my Practical part of the thesis. 

When I opened my RapidMiner account now, I found out that I can apply for Educational License because I am still a student, and so I did! (and inside my former account (when I was signed in) I applied to the educational account, not external new account) and I got the confirmation on my university email and all was fine. but apparently I have two account now? or one account inside the other? or I donno what! when I check my license in my former normal account I get this :

1.PNG

and when I sign from the university account I get this License (the good full one):

2.PNG

Now what confuses me is, that in my RapidMiner program in my desktop, I am signed as janazreik89@gmail.com (my normal email). But I added the License Key of my university email (Gonfiaf.Zuraik@student.hs-neu-ulm.de) and its working but its confusing because I donno which email I am actually using inside the program itself(not in the website in the website i can sign in with two different accounts, though my first application to the Educational Licesne was done when I was signed in with my normal account janazreik89@gmail.com)

Sorry for the length of the email and thank you for understanding

Kind regards,

Jana

Tagged:

Best Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Solution Accepted

Hello @Gonfiaf_Zuraik @janazreik89,

Welcome to the community. I have moved your post from Developer to Getting Started as this is the appropriate place for this question.

So yes I am not surprised that you are finding things confusing when you are trying to juggle two different RapidMiner accounts with two different email addresses :)

It is a long explanation between the difference between Free, Trial, and Educational licenses (see https://rapidminer.com/pricing/ and https://rapidminer.com/educational-program/ if really want to dig in) but honestly for 99.99% of users, you will notice zero difference between a Trial license and an Educational license (the main difference is the use of parallel processing for high volume, low latency data work - something that would not be generally needed in an educational setting). I would just do the correct thing and use your educational email and your educational license in Studio and go from there.

Scott

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Solution Accepted

hi @janazreik89 - yes that is confusing but all fine. When you get an educational license you also get a 30-day trial license as a bonus. This trial license is slightly "better" than the educational license (as I explained earlier) so RapidMiner will automatically give you the trial license while it is still in effect. After 30 days your license will automatically revert to educational.

So in short it's all fine. Relax and happy RapidMining!

Scott

Answers

• janazreik89janazreik89 Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

This is me from my other account (the normal one not the university account)

please help :smileysad:

• Gonfiaf_ZuraikGonfiaf_Zuraik Member Posts: 9 Contributor II

Dear @sgenzer 

Thank you so mcuh

sorry for posting my question in the wrong group, please accept my apology. 

Your answer helped me a lot, but I still have one other concern.

Now from the program itself speaking: I am signed in with this account janazreik89@gmail.com (not the educational one)

3.PNG

I click on "Sync licenses from your account"  and I fill in my educational account credentials and log in

then I get the same screen again

4.PNG

if I click on "Enter License" and i past my Educational license key, I get this:

5.PNG\

recognized and everything is perfect! and I get a notification that Education License has been successfully installed from the bottom right side of the screen, BUT, at the same time i get in the middle of the screen that the active license is the Trial one !, you can see it in this screen shot:

6.PNG

So, even if I want to use only my educational Licesnse, I am not succeeding in doing so

Thanks for your help and understanding and sorry for the long message and the boring explanations

Sincerely,

Jana

• Gonfiaf_ZuraikGonfiaf_Zuraik Member Posts: 9 Contributor II

Thank you my dear :)