My Rapidminer Server 9 will not allow me to grant it more memory

JessForbesRMJessForbesRM RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 38 RM Data Scientist
edited December 2018 in Knowledge Base
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 8.21.15 PM.png

Symptoms 

• You've just updated to Rapidminer Server 9 which is awesome but your server only shows 2GB of memory.  
  • Even after you've updated the max-memory.conf settings you still can't get it to start without more than 2GB of memory available to the server core.

Diagnosis

•  You may be victim to a configuration issue in which your system is using the default 2048M setting instead of your own licensed amount.

Solution

We are going to make a change to your standalone.conf.bat file to reflect the correct setting. 

Inside of your \rapidminer-server\rapidminer-server-9.0.0\bin\ you will find standalone.conf.bat 

Locate the following segment:

if exist %DIRNAME%\..\standalone\configuration\max-memory.conf (
set /p MAX_MEMORY_CONFIG=<%RAPIDMINER_SERVER_HOME%\configuration\max-memory.conf
) else (
set MAX_MEMORY_CONFIG=2048m
)

Now make the following adjustment:

if exist %RAPIDMINER_SERVER_HOME%\configuration\max-memory.conf (
set /p MAX_MEMORY_CONFIG=<%RAPIDMINER_SERVER_HOME%\configuration\max-memory.conf
) else (
set MAX_MEMORY_CONFIG=2048m
)

By updating the "if" statement we are making sure that it is looking to the new max-memory.conf file that is located in your rapidminer server home folder.

Tagged:

Comments

• kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn

Hi, I had the same problem on Ubuntu, but the standalone.conf file seemed already ok (updated 8.2 to version 9.0.1) and was pointing to the correct home folder. The max-memory.conf file also contained the correct value.

I managed to get full memory by just modifying the set MAX_MEMORY_CONFIG in the standalone.conf file from 2048 to my max allowed memory but would like to know if there can be other reasons for the behaviour.

• CamilloCamillo Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

Hi, we have the same problem with Rapidminer Server 9.0.1 installed on AWS. I updated the MAX_MEMORY_CONFIG but couldn't find the standalone.conf.bat file in Rapidminer-home folder. Is the approach differernt for RM Server 9.0.1?

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Hey - can you try 9.0.2? I think there was something like this which we fixed.

Also: Let's maybe move this to a professional level? I going to write you an email.

BR,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • JessForbesRMJessForbesRM RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 38 RM Data Scientist

Hello,

AWS is a linux install, you will not be affected by this bug, it is a windows specific issue that is not something that should be at play here.

Instead your license info is set from your

configuration\max-memory.conf

and determined by your license.  You must apply a paid license, a free license will not be accepted by server 9.X

• CamilloCamillo Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

Hello @JessForbesRM,

thank you for your response.

We have a large license at the moment and we have adjusted the file already.

configuration\max-memory.conf

However, we do not see any change on RM Server after restarting the server.